Chapter Eight

I wake up to Tris shaking me and saying," Dawn come on we have five minutes till training." Right when she says that I jolt up and say,"SHIT. I'm happy I slept in my clothes." I grab her hand and run down the hallway to the training room, just in time and nobody notices.

     "The first thing you will learn today is how to shoot a gun. The second thing is how to win a fight." Four says pressing a gun in everybody's hands. "Thankfully if you are here you already know how to jump off a moving train, so I don't need to teach you that." In Abnegation you don't touch guns or see them, so this feels weird. "Initiation is divided into three stages. We will measure you progress and your rank according to your performance in each stage. The stages are not weighed equally in determining your final rank, so it's possible, though difficult, to drastically improve your rank over time." This is going to be harder than I thought. "We believe that preparation eradicates cowardice, which we define as the failure to act in the midst of fear. Therefore each stage of initiation is intended to prepare you in a different way. The first stage is primarily physical; the second, primarily emotional; the third, primarily mental."

     "But what......" Peter says while yawning. "What does firing a gun have to do with.....bravery?"

     I see a flash of anger in Four's eyes then he flips the gun in his hand, presses the barrel against Peter's head, and clicks a bullet into place. Please shoot. I think. "Wake. Up." Four says angrily."Your holding a loaded gun, you idiot. Act like it." I've never seen my brother like this. Four lowers his gun."And to answer your question...you are far less likely to soil your pants and cry for your mother if you're prepared to defend yourself." Leave Four to say that considering he actually grew up with a mom for awhile. "This is also information you may need later in stage one. So, watch me."

     As he says that he gets in position to shoot one of the targets and when he shoots he shoots the middle circle. We then get in position to fire our guns. I get in a stance to shoot when Four comes up behind me and says,"Dawn put your feet further apart." I look up at him and give him my look I give to say thanks and he smiles and keeps on walking, while I do as he says. I shoot and I look at where the bullet hit and notice it hit the middle circle. Four comes up behind me and says," Good job Stiff, your a pretty good shot." as he smiles at me and I smile back.

     "Thanks." I say, then put the gun down and sit against the wall.