one

Chapter 1

----------------

The brisk air hits my skin. Short sleeves werent the best option. Today is the day. The day I decide which faction I belong in. I am still thinking about my aptitude test results. Inconclusive. I am Divergent. Now Im even more confused on which faction to choose.

I look over at my mom.

"I cant wait for this to be over. We can celebrate when you come home." she smiles and goes to a small group of other moms. I open the doors to the Hub and head to an elevator. The man infront of me - wearing gray - pushes the button and the elevator is sent up. Once I get there, I quickly grab a seat with the other yellow-shirted Amity and wait for my mother. As soon as the Ceremony starts, my mom sneaks in next to me. Jeanine Matthews, leader of Erudite, starts a speech about the factions and such. As I do in school, I tune her out.

"They called you honey." my mom says tapping me on the shoulder. How much did I miss? How long was I not paying attention? As I get up, my mother grabs my hand.

"I love you." she smiles sadly at me. I take a few deep breaths as I walk down to the podium. Jeanine hands me the silver knife. I take it hesitantly. The bowls are scarier up close. When your up close it means you have to choose. Then a few things cross my mind. All the times I despised the Amity for their never-ending happiness. And I think of the many times I watched the Dauntless kids arrive at school by jumping off trains. Then flowing into the school in a sea of black and occasionally dark red. But the thought that saddens me the most is my mom. Her confidence in the fact that I will return to Amity. I picture her smiling and happy thinking I will come back. I take another deep breath. Thats when I drag the knife across my palm. Thats when the blood drips into the bowl. I was never very peaceful anyways.