thirty-one

Chapter 31

----------------

There are many people inside. Way more than the Dauntless-borns and the transfers. Are all these people gathered here to watch the final test? I sigh at the fact that I will have an audience. I find Ian, Morgan, and Laura and we stand together watching everyones fears. I see out of the corner of my eye that Laura and Ian are holding hands, but I say nothing. Morgans not paying attention to any of us, just chewing her nails anxiously. The boy in his fear landscape is freaking out. Hes not doing too well. I sigh. Its been almost ten minutes. Hes out. I place a hand on Morgans back.

"Calm down." I say smiling.

"I cant."

"If you dont, you'll go into the landscape with an already nervous mind. Then you'll do bad and wont pass. Is that really what you want?" I hiss. I dont mean to come across as scolding her. She shakes her head.

"Good. Think about something that will make you feel better." I say walking away. I join Ian and Laura and Morgan follows. Ian and Laura release hands quickly and I start to long for Eric. Thats what me and him do a lot. I groan and rub my hands over my face.

"You ok?" Ian asks.

"Yeah. Just... thinking." I say hesitantly. He nods and turns around to the boy who walks out of the room. Im kind of nervous for my test. But if I do really bad, Eric will tweak my time just a bit. Maybe not. I dont know what he is willing to do. Im just some random girl who arrived at Dauntless initiation. I highly doubt he jeopardize his career and become factionless just so I'll be in tenth or higher. So I must rely on myself. I hope the fears with Eric dont hint at anything between us. I wait as they call the next name. Ian's. Without any notice, he kisses Laura full on and heads into the room. Her cheeks burn bright red and she grins wickedly. I smile and shake my head at his 'good luck charm' before the tests. Morgan stands, mouth gaping open at Laura.

"You trying to catch flies with that thing?" Laura asks, putting her fingers under Morgans chin, closing her mouth. I hear the clack of Morgans teeth and cringe. That noise for some reason annoys me. We all look up at the screen displaying Ian right now. He sits in the chair, while Four injects him with the serum. He takes a deep breath, as do Morgan, Laura, and I, as we wait for the serum to claim his mind. After a minute of being injected, his eyes close and the screen is launched into the dark place that is Ians dark mind.