nine

Chapter 9

--------------

Eric seems like a big brother to me now. I finally have one friend. One. I get dressed an head down to the training room.

"Today you will find out your rankings. If you are below the line, you will be cut." Eric says to us.

So far I have fought in four fights and won three. I hope I dont get cut. Then I see my name. Next to the number 3. I smile to myself and look over at the people who are going to be cut. Grace sobs and a tall skinny boy stares wide-eyed at the board.

"How does the Amity girl get third?" a boy shouts. I feel the heat rushing to my cheeks and I put my hands in my pockets.

"Simple. She's won more fights than you." Eric responds as if everyone knows this.

"She also fights better than you." Four chimes in.

"But she's Amity!" another girl whines.

"Look, I suggest you worry about yourselves because obviously you're not doing too well if you're threatened by an Amity. She's doing what she needs to do and thats that. Now you all have the day off today so just go do something." Eric says annoyed. I see a couple people glance at me with eyes the equivalent to death. Everyone leaves and so do I.

"Angelica!" Eric calls my name. I turn around and see him coming my way, and Four standing behind him with an eyebrow raised. Eric stands next to me and whispers something to me.

"You wanna go get some tattoos?" he asks. I smile at him, but Im pretty sure the sadness is showing through. He opens the door for me and we walk out of the training room together.

"Are you feeling a little better?" he asks me while we walk over the chasm.

"Honestly? I still miss my mom, but, theres nothing I can do." I say sighing.

"Sorry. Hey you can get a tattoo in her honor." he says smiling.

"Yeah." I say looking down at the

river. We finally reach the tattoo parlor.

"Do you have any?" I ask him.

"Not yet." he says with a slight smirk. I look on the walls and see a bunch of tattoos. I decide to get a pattern on my neck on both sides, and in the middle an Amity symbol. On my left arm, I decide to get a big Dauntless symbol and three armband tattoos. All with complicated lines, almost like a maze. And finally on my right arm,elbow to wrist, I get the same tattoos on the sides of my neck. After I tell that to the girl who will be tattooing me Eric says something.

"Thats a lot." he says to me. Whatever. I hear the buzz of the needle and look over at Eric who is already getting his. I take a deep breath and ready myself for the needle.