two

Chapter 2

---------------

I find my way to the Dauntless initiates and stand among them. My bright yellow stands out from their black. My eyes scan the crowd of Amity and find my mom. I mouth the words ' Im sorry' to her. She smiles at me and shakes her head. Im quite surprised at my moms reaction to this. Its like... she expected it.

Its finally time for the Dauntless to leave and as expected, we have to run. All of us pour out of the Hub, not being considerate of others. Its kind of fun actually. We run far out to where the train tracks are. A train drives past us and we are expected to do what any Dauntless would do: run alongside it and swing yourself in. The people infront of me do it with no effort. I find a handle for me to grab onto just in time and hoist myself up. The train takes a sharp turn and I almost fall out of the car. Luckily, I catch myself and force myself to sit down. But just as I begin to feel okay we have one more task. Jump out of the car and land on the roof of a building. If you dont fall. Once again I am last and have to jump. I get a running start and jump out of the car. As I am suspended in the air I feel like I an flying. But then I land hard on the rooftop and scrape my knee. Not as bad as not even landing on the rooftop but the pavement below.

I brush myself off and stand up. I see the other initiates standing in a group with a man infront. I join the group but Im in the far back.

"Alright initiates. My name is Four. I am one of your instructors. The first thing we will do is jump off this building into that hole" he points to a massive hole in the ground. Four looks intimidating so I shrink back just a little bit.

"Anyone care to go first?" he asks. The Candor girl infront of me makes her way to the ledge.

"Whats at the bottom?" she asks Four.

"Well if you actually jump you'll find out." he sounds kind of irritated. The girl shrugs her shoulders and jumps. After a minute, we hear her victory whoop and everyone cheers.

"Next!" Four shouts.

"Excuse me." I say pushing my way through the people infront of me.

"Amity?" Four looks puzzeled. My yellow shirt probably gave it away. I take a deep breath and look down. If she survived, than so can I.Without thinking, I jump. I am flying through the air. Air howls next to me as I fall. I close my eyes and let the moment consume me. My arms flail around and I scream I am interrupted by landing on something. A net. I smile to myself and a huge pair of hands picks me up off the net and sets me down roughly. The boy looks at me with eyes of steel. Dark hair and 2 piercings above his left eyebrow make him attractive. Not too much in my opinion though. Hes not gorgeous but not ugly either.

"Name." he asks.

"Angelica." I say back.