Chapter 1: Meet Zale

Zale's POV:

"Zale! Zalee! You better come out! You need to practice your magic!" My mother sings from her room.

I yawn, rubbing my sleepy eyes before I slowly slide from my seashell makeshift bed. My eight tentacles floating in the water; churning bubbles around with their motions.

"Coming mother!" I yell as I stretch my back, hearing the popping of my back bones.

I push myself towards my doorway and leave my room, bubbles floating. I find mother sitting at her dresser applying makeup to her face as she focuses on a shatter mirror- its frame was covered in moss from being in the water for too long.

I don't understand why she wears makeup especially when theres literally no one around us in this deep part of the Atlantic Ocean.

And every time I asked she would just say, "First impressions are everything, you'll understand when your older."

Here I am nineteen years old, and still don't get it. I do believe she wears makeup to cover up the wrinkles that are cathing up on her.

"Morning Zale," she greets, not turning away from the broken mirror, "Did you have a good night's sleep?" she asks.

I nod with a smile, "Yes, and it was a good one. I dreamt that we were ruling over the Ocealan kingdom and the royal family were our slaves."

She finally glances at me and gives me her evil smile that would make children cry for their mommys. Her tentacles swirl around her gleefully, "Oooh, that must be a sign that we will rule the kingdom someday! And that someday will be here quite soon!" she laughs and the cave echos.

She stands up and swims to her spell room where she does her spells (of course) and keeps her potion stored. I follow and watch as she grabs bottles of different colors of liquid from her cabinets.

She's been teaching me how to do magic since I turned thirteen. I've learned every spell in the book and was ready to fulfill my destiny!

To capture the daughter, Princess Lana of Ocealan daughter of the famous Little Mermaid, Queen Ariel and King Eric of Ocealan.

"Do you think I'm ready?" I ask her, my stomach churning with excitement.

She laughs, "Of course you are ready! You are my son after all. It's about time I tell you about the plan to capture the daughter of Queen Ariel. Bah! That name gives me a shiver. A shiver that reminds me that I had failed to a spoil brat!" she sneered, her face glowing with anger.

Ever since my mother had failed to capture the Little Mermaid and using her to gain the Atlantic ocean from King Triton, she never let a day pass on without mentioning Queen Ariel.

After all she was the cause of our exile.

She tells me everyday that we will get revenge on Queen Ariel and King Eric. In the morning when I wake up, and at the end of the day when I go to sleep.

"But you," she says as the potion glow red from inside her cauldron, giving her a menacing aura. "You will not fail Zale. You will succeed on your quest and finish what mommy started."

She swirls her hand over the pot and then a vision appears inside of a girl with vibrant red hair like her mother's; strolling down a hallway of her castle. She was smiling and greeting the servants she passed as if she thought no harm will come to her or her beloved home.

But she is surely wrong.

I smirk, "Is that her?" I ask with amusement in my tone. This would be a piece of cake!

Mom nods, "Yes, that little pathetic princess is traveling to the kingdom of Femos. The prince there needs to marry a princess to be king. Ha! Ridiculous."

The vision changes to the ocean and a royal ship comes into view, sailing across the seas with its sails full of wind, proudly showing the symbol of it's kingdom.

"Today she will set sail to meet the prince of Femos. Luckly for us, the ship will be passing over our little home. I'll create a spell that will create a storm, and her ship will wreak.

"And you," she points to me, "will save the damsel in distress," she says batting her eyelashes and drapes her hand over her forehead, "and bring her to the shore of her kingdom. You need to get her to think that you are her knight in shining armor, her soulmate." she rolls her eyes in mockery of the princess.

The vision changes, showing me holding on to the princess with my tentacles clutching her. I had a grin on my face that I inherited from my mother. Her father and mother will give my mother and I their kingdom for their precious daughter's safety.

"And we will use her to get the kingdom of Ocealan." she grins, her tentacles curl in anticipation.

I frown, remembering something. "But what about King Triton? Once he hears we have his granddaughter, he'll try and stop us."

She laughs again, "Oh Zale, poor unfortunate Zale, we will also be given the chance to steal his triton! He will do anything to protect his family, and that's his weakness, and we will use it against him!"

I nod in understanding, "So when will I set off?" The vision fades away and the cauldron return to normal.

"Princess Lana will depart this afternoon once she is over our home, the storm will hit and the ship will be destroyed. Find her before her mindless subjects do," she snaps her gaze to me, "and you are not immune to the storm.

"You will be wash ashore to her castle and be stuck there until I can make another storm that will bring you back here. I'll give you a spell that will turn your tentacles to legs, but if water ever touches you one bit, your legs will go back into tentacles."

"What makes you think she won't find out who I am once your spell wears off?" I ask.

"Don't worry the spell will last for five days, by the time it's the fifth day I should have all my ingredients to send you the next storm. And when it comes bring her to me." Her tentacles swishes around her excitedly.

She leans to me, "If I see her tricking you with her charms, do not worry, mommy will come and get her," she warns.

I shake my head, "No need to mother. I know who we are up against. I will not fail you." I promise.

She nods, "Good boy. Now go on and do something while I make a potion for my skin." she said turning around and going back to her cabinets.

*********
And that is the first chapter of The Son of Ursula! I hope you guys like it! I have a good feeling of this book!

So comment your thoughts, vote, and share!