Chapter 17: The Sea

Zale's POV:

The next morning after breakfast I went outside to get fresh air. All the questions from the king and queen really tired me out. And with all the nods, polite answers, strained smiles, 'yes your Highness' and 'no your Majesty'. I really needed a moment to be myself and be near the sea.

And to remind myself why I'm here.

Lana is just like her mother using her own charms to lure me in like a moth to a flame. But I am not like her father. I will not be seduce by smiles and laughter. I will not fall in love with my enemy. She falls in love with me and I use it against her. Thats the plan.

And I always follow the plan.

I close my eyes and breathe in the salty ocean breeze. I shiver as the wind blew past me. I open my eyes and stepp closer to the waters. Wanting to feel the coolness against my cold pale skin.

I scowl as I step back from the water. Remembering what mother said. If I touch the water the spell will break and my legs will turn back into tentacles.

Which didn't seem that bad. I do miss my eight helpers. And I don't even have to take a shower since I can't let water touch me, but mother did give me a bar of soup to rub on my arm and it spreads across my body. Making me clean and have a nice ocean smell.

"Don't worry mother," I say to the sea, not sure if mother could hear me. "I will not fail."

"Who you talking to?"

"Gah!" I jump and whirl around towards Lana.

"Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you Zale." She apologize taking a step back.

I scoff, "I wasn't scare. You just surprised me. There's a difference."

She rolls her eyes, "Sure. So who were you talking to?"

"My mother. I'm not sure if she heard me, but I just had to tell her something important." I answer.

"Do you miss her alot?"

"Uh alittle. And my home."

"What's it like there?" She asks, "In Atlantica. My mom tells me alot about it and it sounds amazing, but I want to hear it from someone else for once."

I sigh as I sat down on the warm sand and she sits next to me. "Actually I don't live in Atlantica. I told you I lived outside of it. My mother doesn't like being surrounded by so many mer-people. But we have tons of the ocean to explore. I'm sure you would've love Atlantica though."

She smiles, "Maybe I can come one day. Maybe even get a tail! And you can show me around." She nudges her shoulder against mine.

"Maybe," was all I said.

"So do you like being here?" She asks.

I looked at her castle and nod, "I love it actually. It's pretty amazing. Espically the food."

She laughs, "Even the calamari?" She then points behind me and I turned around.

"What?" I squint to where she was pointing, then I see it. All the stuff I ate splatter on the wall.

"Ohhh," I shake my head, "No not even the calamari. Eesh, are those the cinnamon rolls? Wow, yeah I'm looking away now." I chuckl as I turn away from my mess.

"I don't think it was the calamari," she says, "I believe it was all the cinnamon rolls and strawberry tarts you ate."

"Ugh stop! I feel like I'm going to lose my breakfast right now!" I clench my stomach.

"Ew! Don't do it this way!" She jumps up and backs away.

I stand up, still clenching my stomach and I let a groan, "Ughh, Lana I'm not feeling so good. I... I think... I'm gonna..." I stammer as I step closer to her, "Be sick!" I yell and reach my hands up to grab her.

"No!" She shrieks and runs, laughing.

"No come back! I'm not feeling good!" I shout as I take off after her. I easily catch up to her and grab her around the waist and pull her against my chest.

"No!!" She screams and kicks, "Please don't puke on me! I like this dress!" She laughs.

I leaned into her neck and gagged, "Gahh!" I smile as I held her. She screams and laughs, struggling to be put down.

"Ahem!" Someone clears their throat.

We freeze and I turn around to the sea with Lana still in my arms.

"Oh!" Lana says and pats my back, signaling for me to put her down. I stay frozen, watching our intruder as I set her down on the sand.

"Grandfather!" Lana exclaims as she runs to the seashore where a man with a long white beard and hair stood with a large golden triton in his hands.

King Triton smiles, "Lana its so good to see you back safe and sound! Sebastian had informed me yesterday what happened and I just had to come by and see for myself that you were alright. Come here and give you're ol' man a hug!"

She laughs as she wades into the water to her grandfather. Wrapping her arms around him. "I'm fine grandfather, really!"

As they hug, King Triton eyes roam to me. Looking at me up and down. And I stay put. Watching him closely. I hope he doesn't see my mother's face as he looks at me.

"And who is this young man, my flower?" He asks.

Lana pulls away, "This is Zale, he was the one who rescued me from the storm and brought me home. I owe him my life."

King Triton stays silent as he stare. I feel my whole body tense. Ready for an attack. But it never came. Instead I got a smile from the old and powerful merman.

"So you're the one who rescued my granddaughter," King Triton says, "You have my deepest gratitude and respect."

********
Comment, vote, and share to support!