Chapter 25: The White Lilypad Orphange

Zale's POV:

The city of Thara was big and busy. There were bakeries and blacksmiths working. Mills were cover with laborers. Women were doing laundry down by a lake, gossiping while they wash.

Men were working in fields in the distance, wearing straw hats and overalls. Dogs were barking in the distance as they run the cows.

We ride the carriage through the city. People look up from whatever they were doing to bow or curtsy as we pass. Some were little kids who gawk and squeal when they realized who was in the carriage.

"Its the princess!"

"Princess Lana is here!"

"Look! Look! Its Princess Lana!"

One kid wave his arms around like a maniac to get Lana's attention. She was looking in the opposite direction, however so I nudge her.

"Someone's trying to get your attention," I whisper to her as I point the kid out who had a toothy grin on his red tinted face.

She smiles and waves to the boy, "Hi!" She greets with a cheerful tone that will make you so happy just by hearing it.

He gasps and waves again before he turns around and ran off. Probably to tell his parents or friends.

The orphanage was on the otherside of the city. A few blocks away from an exit that leads into the woods.

It was a broken down marble building. Two stories high with windows. They had a few broken ones, but with wooden boards nailed to it.

There was an iron gate surrounding the space with an empty backyard. There were lilies blooming in the front of the house of a variety of colors.

A sign was posted at the entrance with faded letters, but you can still read the greeting: Welcome to the White Lilypad Orphanage!

"So why are we here?" I ask Lana as I help her down the carriage.

"Every year before my birthday the owner here invites me to come and visit the children here. I would play with them and read to them. And tell them that every child has a family where they belong.

"They just need to find them. Then when I leave I give the owner money. Honestly I wish I could do more but there is not much to do for them but give them hope." She says solemnly.

I look at the looming building and squeezed my eyes shut. Ugh... This is gonna be torture in so many ways.

"Well lets go. You'll love them," she says as she take my hand in hers and leads me to do the door and knocks.

It opens immediately and a little girl with short brown hair smiles up at us. "Princess! Come in! Come in!" She jumps up and down in her bright yellow sunflower dress as she moves to the side to let us in.

"Gwen! How have you been?" Lana asks as she bends down to the little girl's level to give her a hug.

"Good! Welcome back Princess Lana. Who's this?" She points to me.

Lana smiles, "Now Gwen, Mrs. Leslie says its rude to point. This is my friend Zale. Why don't you introduce him to the others while I talk to Mrs. Leslie. Is she in the kitchen?"

Gwen nods, "Yes she is, come on Mr. Zale!" The little girl takes my hand in hers and draws me away from an amuse Lana.

"Uh Zale is fine," I say as I look around the room that was fill with nine... No eleven... No sixteen kids. Between the ages of 5-15 it looks. All sitting down doing something. Minding their own business.

"Guys this is Zale! Princess Lana's boyfriend!" Gwen announce. Everyone looks up and stare at me as I glow red.

"You're the Princess's boyfriend?!"

"Wow look at his hair!"

"Its so weird!"

"He's kinda cute!" Says a little girl to her friend.

"I know!" The other agree as they giggle.

"Uhh actually I am not Lana's boyfriend..." I say slowly. "We are just friends. Uh hi? Im Zale." I wave akwardly.

Why are you so nervous? They're just kids! I seen far more terrifying things than this.

"How come your hair is like that?" Asks a young boy, possibly nine or ten.

Instinctively my hand went to touch my hair. "Uh I was born with it?"

"Tommy don't be rude!" Chide a teenage girl. Who offers a warm smile. "Sorry about that Mr. Zale. The kids here are still learning their manners." She glares at the boy.

"Just call me Zale. And its fine."

"Well allow me to introduce ourselves. Im Naomi, the oldest. Tommy here is my little brother. So sorry about him."

She gestures to the two girls next to her, "And those two are Sarah and Isabelle. Thats Hayden and Victor..." And on and on as she introduces the kids in the room.

I was surprise there were so many little kids and very few teenagers. Which I found strange. Soon after they lead me outside and they made me play games with them such as tag. Which was quite fun actually.

I was laughing as I chase Gwen across the lawn. I pause to catch my breath and she gets away laughing and yelling, "You can't catch me!"

I smile and yell, "I'll get you!" Suddenly I felt like I was being watch. I stood up and gaze around me and stop to see Lana watching from the kitchen window with a smile.

I waved at her and she waves back before I run off to tag someone.

Maybe this isn't so bad after all.

*******
Please vote, comment, and share!