Chapter 13: Conversations

Zale's POV:

As Lana and I continue down the trail of crumbs. I went over my deal with Rumplestilskin in my head.

"So you know who I am?" I asked him.

He laughed, "Why of course! Did you know that your mom and I go way back? How is she doing anyway? Still blabbering about getting revenge on Queen Ariel and King Eric?"

I glared at him as I feel my hands clench into fists. I wanted to punch this two legged worm in the face.

He seemed to read my thoughts as he laughed, "I wouldn't do that fish sticks. I can expose your identity in front of the princess watching us. You will be in the dugeons before you can say it was a trick." He warned.

I rolled my eyes as I force myself to remain calm, "What do you want?"

"I want to be part of your plan," he answers, "If you and your mother win, and its a big if! I want to rule Ocealan."

My eyes widen in shock, "What? No! My mother and I will rule Ocealan."

"And what about Atlantica? Hrm? You can't rule two kingdoms at once! Thats just a step towards to disaster! You and mother can rule Atlantica and do whatever you wish with the merfolks and the Little Mermaid's family down there just as long I can rule Ocealan without any arguments. Deal?"

He holds his hand out for a shake. I groan, "Mother's gonna kill me." I think to myself.

He laughed, "Oh I'm sure she'll live. Besides don't you need to get close to the princess? You know how women are, worrying about children. Saving children like a hero really turns them on if you know what I mean." He winks and I just rolled my eyes in response.

"Any day now tuna head, my arm's getting tired and I have to be somewhere." He says.

I sighed and took his hand, "It's a deal."

He smiles wickedly, "Perfect."

"Ow!" I hissed snapping my gaze to our clasped hands. There was a bright light shining through and it was burning me. I tried to pull away but he had a strong grip. I grimanced at the pain already regetting what I bargain for.

When I felt like I was about to pass out he releases me. I clutched my burnt hand to my chest and glared at him.

"Don't forget our deal young Zale!" He says with a laugh. As he beckons Lana to return.

"Are you okay?" Lana asks, breaking my thoughts.

"Hrm?"

She points down at my hand and I realize I was tracing my fingers over the cursive R. I drop both my hands to my sides and slip them in my pockets.

"I'm fine," I tell her.

"It sure looked like it hurt."

"It did. Burnt like Hell." I add.

"May I ask what was the deal?" She asks.

"No."

I look ahead of us, we are still following what felt like an endless trail of crumbs. There was no sign of any life, not even critters. It was so quiet and dark.

"So how did you turn your tail into legs?" Lana asks.

Uh oh. Uhh what to say, what to say!

"I... I..." Im at lost for words.

Think, think, think Zale!

"I went to the Sea Witch's old cave... And there was a... Potion! A potion that said transformation and I took it because I wanted to see what it was like to be a human... So yeah!" I conclude.

Mentality I sigh in relief, That was a close one.

"But won't the spell wear off? How many days do you have?"

I smile at her, "You sure ask alot of questions."

"Just trying to make conversation and get to know you."

I sigh, "Well I'm an only child, raised by a single mom. We live outside the kingdom of Atlantica. Its just been us since I can remember. I love cinnamon rolls. I joined Captain Gibson's crew to see the human world. And thats about it. Now you have to tell me alittle bit of yourself."

Lana tucks a strand of red hair behind her ear, "Let's see... Im an only child as well though I wish I had a sister. My favorite sweet is strawberry tarts. I love to read and study maps. I like to imagine going on a ship to search for new lands and new cultures." She says with a sparkle in her eyes.

"I do have a cousin," I say with a small smile, "Her name is Serenia, she's real fun to be around and I like to think she's my sister."

"Maybe I can meet her someday," she says.

I smile, "Oh I have a feeling you will someday. Also what are strawberry tarts?"

She gasps, "Oh they are delicious! Maybe even better than the cinnamon rolls! Once we are back at the castle I will make sure you have a strawberry tart!"

"I highly doubt they are as good as Mrs. Rosie's cinnamon rolls."

She laughs as she look straight ahead. Then her eyes widen and she shook my arm, "Finally! The river! We're almost there! Come on!"

She runs ahead but I stay frozen in place. Paralyze. My hand touches the place where she had grab my arm. I don't know if I'm losing my mind, but I swear I felt a tingle and my heart had stopped beating for a full ten seconds. Is that possible? Am I dying?

Lana looks back at me when she realizes I didn't follow, "Zale! Hurry up!"

I swallow and shake my head ignoring the way I inhale when she said my name.

Stop it! Snap out of it! She's using her charms on you like her mother did with King Eric. I will not be fool. She is my enemy. Remember that.

"Coming!" I yell then I race to her side. We stood under a willow tree on a hill, its long vines swayed to the wind that blew.

"No way..." I say as I looked down the hill.

*********
Comment your thoughts, vote, and share.