Chapter 14: The Gingerbread House

Lana's POV:

My mouth hangs open in disbelief as I stare at the peculiar house. I never seen a house made of gingerbread cover with candy and frosting in my entire life! A peppermint pathway that lead to the frosted cover door with a window frame made of candy canes. The roof was cover with frosting and sprinkles of different colors. 

Trees that grew gumdrops instead of fruits surround the house and the smell of sweets covers the area; giving me a slight headache.

"Well isn't this a child's dream home," I said, "And a parent's worst nightmare."

Zale mumble in agreement then he points to the chimney that had grey smoke rising from it, "Looks like someone's getting dinner ready."

I feel my heart start beating faster and goosebumps fill my arms causing me to shiver. "I hope we're not too late! Come on!"

I run down the hill, feeling my heart pounding and worst case scenarios run through my head.

What if we're too late? What will I tell Mrs. Rosie? Please let them be alive!

I didn't realize Zale was calling my name til I felt a hand snatch my elbow and pull me back.

"Hey!" I yell in surprise. What is he doing?!

Zale clasp a hand over my mouth, "What are you doing? We have nothing to fight her with. Need I remind you that she is a witch. She has powers! We have to make a plan. Do you understand?"

He's right. We are defenseless. To go rushing in there would be foolish!

I nod in agreement and he takes his hand away from my mouth. "What do you have in mind?" I ask.

He taps his chin, thinking, "I don't know... Some sort of distraction maybe. To draw her away from the house and get the kids out while she's distracted."

Before I could say anything the front door opens and we froze. We are standing in the front of the house and theres no place to hide.

I gasp, "Gretal!" I whisper as a girl with two dirty blonde ponytails hanging at the side of her face which was cover with grime as if she's been working all day.

A dirty apron was tied around her waist as she carried a bucket in one hand and turns to the left and walks around the gingerbread house. We follow her to a well made of graham crackers.

"Gretal!" I whisper again. She gasp in surprise and turns around quickly; dropping the bucket with a loud thud.

She sighs in relief when she realized who we were, "Lana!" She whispers and runs toward me. Wrapping her arms around me and I held her tight. Not wanting to let her go.

"Where's Hansel?" I ask letting her go so I can look at her.

She sniffs as if she's been crying, "She's got him locked up in there. She's been forcing me to feed him so he can get fatter so she can eat him!" She wails, "Please you have to help him!"

I pull her back in for a hug and held her while she cried. I look towards Zale and mouth, "What do we do?"

He looks down at Gretal and looks back at the house next to us. I can see a plan formulating in his brain by his face full of concentration.

"Gretal?" He says. Gretal sniffs and looks at him still holding me. "To get your brother out of there we're going to need your help. Do you think you can do that?"

Gretal slowly nods, "Yes."

He smile, "Good. Now here's the plan." He says as he gestures for us to huddle together.

****
Zale and I hid on the right side of gingerbread house, waiting. I feel my heart pounding and my palms sweat. I feel so nervous that I might be sick.

Gretal had fill up the bucket with water and was slowly making her way back to the gingerbread house. She was having difficulty carrying the bucket, but she carries it to the front door and enters; leaving the door wide open.

"Are you sure this will work?" I ask Zale, nervously.

He nods, "Of course. All my plans work out. Just calm down and take deep breaths. We'll take one step at a time. Okay?"

I do what he says. Closing my eyes, I breathe in and breath out. This will work. It will.

Then I hear a crash and my eyes snap open.

"You wretched clumsy child! I'll do it myself! Go give your brother another cake! What are you standing still for?! Now! Move!"

Then a woman wearing a tatter dark purple dress storms out of the house, she was hunch over as she hobble to the well, carrying the bucket that was now empty. She mumbles and grumbles under her breath.

Completely oblivious to Zale who was sneaking behind her. I slowly crept against the wall; approaching the front door. I then duck inside and was surprise to see that the inside was a  large kitchen and dining table that was covered with various types of sweets.

"Lana!"

I turned to the right to see a small jail cell with a table standing in front of it with piles of empty plates. In the cell was little Hansel. He looks terrible. His clothes and face were cover in frosting, food crumbles litter the floor. His cheeks plump with cake.

I sigh in relief, "Hansel! Are you alright? Did she hurt you?" I approach his cell.

He shakes his head, "No. My stomach hurts. Can you get me out? I want to go home."

I nod, "Don't worry we'll get you out of here." My hands roam the bars looking for a door but there was nothing! Not even a lock!

I curse, "Well this is gonna be harder than I thought."

********
Comment your thoughts, vote, and share to support!