Chapter 8: Back Home Early

Lana's POV:

I help Zale walk on the uneasy ground. We were walking on sand and it was getting harder for us to walk. He kept slipping and we'd sink lower into the warm tingling sand.

"Almost there," I assure him and we reached cobblestone. I grimance when my bare foot steps on the burning hot stone. I must've lost my slippers in the water. Instictly I pulled it back, but Zale was alittle slow.

"Ow!" He hisses as he jumps back and stumbles. I was quick enough to steady him, "Gods that burned!" He scold.

I nod, "Agree, but we have to get across, sadly."

"We have to walk on that?!" He asks in disbelief.

"We have no other entrance to the castle." I confirm.

He groans and curses under his breath, "Fine. Let's get it over with."

"Let's go," I say. We took quick steps across the cobblestone. Zale was rushing to be done with it, but he kept tripping and stumbling. I swear it was like he doesn't know how to walk!

I had to carry him mostly which was hard. We round a corner and were finally met with the staircase.

"Uh..." Zale's eyes widen and his mouth hangs open as he stares at the stairs as if he's never seen them before.

"What? You never seen stairs before?" I joke as I pull him along.

"Uh yeah, I see stairs all the time from where I came from," he says as he takes careful baby steps. Once we reach the door I burst it open.

"Mother! Father!" I shout, chills ran up my spine and arms when the cool air surround me. Making me forget the hot air outside. The cold floor cooled off our burning feet.

"Lana?" Father calls and rushes out of the main room. He sees me and runs to my side, "Lana! What happened? Did the ship wreck? Are you all right?" He asks. He take my face in his hands and examines.

"Dad, dad! I'm fine," I smile, dropping the formality. "Zale saved me."

He releases me and turns to Zale; standing unsteadly next to me; watching. "You saved my daughter?" Father asks.

Zale bows, "Yes, your Majesty," he answers.

Father opens his arms wide and engolfs Zale into a hug. I watch Zale's eyes widen in shock, and he freezes. Spine straightening, legs stiff. He makes no move of hugging back, not even a pat.

"Thank you so much Zale," says father. He then releases Zale who takes a stumbling step back, "I'm sure my wife will be very happy if you joined us for breakfast."

Zale stays silent. I can understand that, its not everyday a person gets a hug from the king.

"Zale," I whisper to him, setting a hand on his arm. I frown at how stiff it was. "You should join us for breakfast," I tell him.

He swallows and I feel his whole body relaxes. A smile spreads on his lips, "It will be an honor, your Majesty."

I smile, "Great! Dad, can you let Zale borrow some of your casual clothes? He lost his during the storm."

He nods, "Of course, please follow me. Lana go find your mother and tell her what happened."

"Okay!" I watched father lead Zale away before I run up the staircase that was straight ahead of me.

I rush down the hallway that went straight to the second floor, passing by family portraits. The first door that came up is when I stop.

I take in a deep breath before I open the door. The room was big to hold a bunch of treasures mom had brought with her from her home in the sea.

I carefully walk through her treasures, being careful where I step. I bend down to avoid a glittering glass chandelier she made. I pass an opened chest showing gold, pearl, sterling necklaces and rings.

I hear humming coming from the back of the room. And I see her red hair through the clatter. "Mom?" I call out.

The humming stops and she turned around. Her eyes widen, "Lana?" She slowly makes her way toward me. Careful not to bump or knock over her treasures. "What are you doing back here? Did something happened? Did you get hurt?" When she reach me she pulls me into a hug.

"Mom, mom," I repeat with a chuckle, "Mom I'm fine, really. There was a storm and the ship was destroyed. I was washed faraway from the crew, but they're fine too."

She gasps and her arms around me tighten. I smile, "But I was rescued. Zale saved me and he brought me here."

She finally releases me, "Who and where is this Zale?" She asks, looking behind me as if hoping he was right behind me.

"He's with dad right now and he's staying for breakfast." I answer.

She smiles, "Great! Come you need to wash up and a change of clothes." she guides me out of the treasure room and down the hallway into my room.

Once we enter my room, she order me to go to the bathroom and take a bath while she picked out an dress to wear.

****
I look in the mirror. My red hair cascade down my back, brushed. I'm wearing a teal color dress that had a shimmering see through fabric knit on the teal skirt. The top half of the dress was just teal with floral designs sewn.

I have a sterling diamond earrings on and my fingers fiddle with my bracelet. Thankfully I didn't lose it in the storm or I would've gone crazy.

"How do I look?" I ask mother.

She smiles, "Beautiful as always, Lana. Are you perhaps trying to impress our guest?" She asks with a sly smile.

I look down, my hair covering my smile, "No... Why would you think that?"

She rests her hands on my shoulders, "Because its a mother's instict. And because it looks like your dressing up for a special occasion even though we're just having breakfast." She says with tease in her voice.

"What do you mean? I always dress up like this for breakfast! But I don't know much about him... Just that he saved my life. I do hope I can learn more about him though... There's just something about him..." I whisper to myself. "Do you think he'll leave?" I ask, "I'm sure he has a family who are worry for him."

She pats my shoulders, making me jump, "Well we'll have to see. Come now Lana, we can't have the gentlemen waiting for too long."

*******
Comment your thoughts, vote, and share!