Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven: Dynamite, 'rabid' hordes and wild injuns

April 1887

One week. Roughly one week had passed since Frankie had last seen another living person. She had purposely stayed away from towns since leaving that strange quiet man beside that fire and she found herself wondering now and then how he was getting along. Though it wasn't no concern of hers and she certainly wasn't worried enough to go back after him.

Her main concern was finding her uncle. She had arrived at his cabin two days before but the man hadn't been there. Instead she had found a note saying he'd gone to town to get supplies and was leaving the note just in case she returned during his absence. His horse and cart had been gone as well.

Frankie had felt a sinking ball of dread enter her at the knowledge that her uncle was alone out there with those monsters. Those 'rabid'. But if Frankie had survived them then so would her uncle. He was after all the one who had taught her how to fend for herself.

So Frankie had waited at the cabin for a solid day before deciding that she was no good at resting. She knew the route her uncle always took to the town which was nearly a full days ride away and she would just follow it and either run into him on the way or find him in town.... She just prayed she found him in the same shape as she had left him in.

Frankie smiled as she saw the outskirts of town coming into sight and checked to ensure all three of her revolvers were loaded. She already knew the rifle on her back was loaded and was fitted with a bayonet just in case she wanted to get personal.

It wasn't that Frankie enjoyed killing the 'rabid'.... Okay so it was. She had seen them do terrible things and was eager to rid the earth of them. She just thought, or hoped, that if she killed enough of them eventually there would be no more.

She rode her horse down the deserted streets of town and felt her heart sinking lower and lower with every step. She didn't see anybody. Not anyone that was living anyway. She saw several 'rabid' fighting over the half eaten remains of a corpse beside the bank and another small group simply wandering .

Frankie knew that as soon as they realized she was here they would come for her and she didn't really feel like fighting so many at once. That could get a person killed. She had nearly gotten killed going after the giant horde that had been attacking the quiet man but something had made her help him anyway..... She still wondered what his story was. She had seen the crib in his home and yet she hadn't seen a baby.

Her horses hooves sounded as loud as hammer falls in the silence and Frankie dreaded the moment the 'rabid' would sense her. She was trying to avoid them the best she could but it was hard when they just wandered aimlessly. Suddenly the silence was shattered when gun shots sounded.

The 'rabid' heard the noise and their heads turned quickly toward the sound before they went off in that direction with hurried, jerking steps. Frankie was surprised. She hadn't realized they were drawn by noise. That was a piece of information she knew she needed to tuck away.

Frankie followed after the 'rabid', staying a safe distance away and the gun shots grew louder. Then she saw the group of men on top of the gun shop roof. There was a ladder leading to the top and the men were shooting at a massive horde of the 'rabid' that had gathered around the building. Good for the men the rabid couldn't climb ladders.... Their disease made them too uncoordinated and, well, twitchy.

Her eyes narrowed and then her heart soared when she recognized her Uncle Gibbs. But how the hell was she supposed to get through the horde to him?