Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four:

"Paleface, never have I sampled better buttered bread." Comanche said with a smile before shoving half a piece of it in his mouth. Frankie rolled her eyes.

"I have to get this tea and muffin back to Miss Charlotte." Silas stated as stepped into the dining room from the kitchen. "She'll be thinking I got lost somewhere.'

Suddenly the train began to slow, there was the screeching of the brakes engaging and every pair of eyes in the dining car glanced around them with confusion.

"It's raining and we're in the middle of nowhere. Why in the world would Colt and Jedidiah stop the train?" Evangeline questioned.

"I will go find out." Comanche said as he stood up. Before he could exit the dining room, Jedidiah came racing in, his breathing rushed and his eyes wide.

"What's wrong?" Rachel demanded, rushing forward and taking Jedidiah's hands in hers.

"Something bad is going to happen....." Jedidiah whispered. Comanche took a step back as Colt came striding into the room with rage contorting his features.

"Dammit, old man, I warned you not to be pulling this future seeing shit and having everybody half scared to death!" Colt growled as he grabbed Jedidiah by the back of the shirt and spun him around.

"What the hell's goin' on?" Frankie asked with curiosity form her table top perch.

"Colt, let go of Jedidiah...." Evangeline urged as she stepped forward and laid her hand on his arm, though Comanche noticed that Colt's grip did not lessen.

"I want to hear what he has to say." Silas spoke up. "What's going to happen, Jedidah?"

Jedidiah's eyes were sad as they locked on Silas. "Death of the little one."

The dining car fell silent. The tea sloshing over the side of the tiny cup Silas held, was the only indication of what the man was feeling as his hands shook. Comanche looked at Frankie but she was staring hard at Jedidiah.

"Dammit, I warned you!" Colt roared as his fist drew back. Jedidiah's eyes closed, obviously preparing himself for the hit, but Colt's arm froze in place when Ox burst into the dining car.

"Silas!" he exclaimed, panting and out of breath.

"Little Grace? Charlotte?" Silas whispered and Ox rubbed at neck and shifted his feet.

"Charlotte's okay but Grace... Grace has a fever."

The dining room fell silent. No one moved. No one blinked. Comanche swallowed hard. A fever. Fevers had been bad in the old world; they were worse in this one. Had the girl been bitten? Was she turning?

Silas was the first to come out of his daze, the tea cup and muffin fell to the floor and he ran from the dining car. Comanche watched with surprise as Colt was the next to chase after him, followed by Evangeline and Ox.

"Should we go?" Frankie asked, sounding confused. Comanche put his arm around her shoulders and kissed her dark hair.

"I see nothing we could do to help." He replied.

"There is nothing anyone can do." Jedidiah offered sadly. "I saw her death."

"Just like you saw the train but left out the rabid infested part?" Frankie spat. "I don't exactly have perfect faith in your abilities."

"You are welcome to leave if you don't believe in Jedidiah!" Rachel urged. "We wouldn't even have this train if not for him."

"No, we have this train because Colt came up with a good plan and all of us kicked some rabid ass. That's why we have this train." Frankie countered angrily.