Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three:

"Jedidiah?" Katherine called quietly, pulling the old man's attention away from the gun he was cleaning.

It was early evening and the hotel was stocked, Silas and Charlotte were still on guard duty, Rachel was cooking in the hotel kitchen and everyone else, other than Jedidiah, Susette, Katherine and Ox were in the rooms upstairs.

"What is it, Katherine?" Jedidiah asked, his sharp blue eyes going to Susette. His wrinkles deepened as he frowned. "Is something wrong?"

"There's something that Susette needs to speak to you about. She doesn't want to but I believe it needs to be done."

Jedidiah sat the rifle aside and smiled comfortingly at the girl, though there was something in her eyes that confused him. Something he recognized. "What is it, Susette?"

The girl tugged at her skirt and bit her lip as she stared down at the floorboards. "Nothing."

"Now, Susette, you need to tell Jedidiah the truth." Ox urged. "He'll understand and he won't think you're crazy."

Katherine put her hand on Susette's shoulder and the girl nodded, swallowed hard and grabbed one of her braids in her fist. "I knew something bad was going to happen here."

Jedidiah was hit with shock so hard he nearly fell off the chair he was seated on. "What do you mean you knew?"

"I see things." Susette replied, her voice so quiet, Jedidiah had to strain to hear her. "I always have. I don't have normal dreams."

"How old are you?" Jedidiah asked cautiously.

"Six, almost seven."

"And how long have you had these dreams?"

"For as long as I can remember."

Jedidiah motioned for the girl to come closer and she glanced back at Katherine. "Go on." Katherine urged. Susette took three small steps toward Jedidiah and he grabbed her hands, holding them gently in his own.

"Were your parents on that stage?"

"No." Susette whispered, her bottom lip trembling. "They didn't want me. Not once they knew I was different."

"And just what kinds of things do you see in your dreams?"

"Things that are gonna happen." Susette replied, once again tugging on her braid. "I knew people were gonna get sick but nobody would listen. I knew our stage would get attacked by the monsters too."

"And you knew Colt would get hurt at this town?"

Susette shook his head. "I didn't know it would be him. All I saw was faces, everybody's faces, and blood. And I saw this town."

"Susette, I don't think you're crazy." Jedidiah assured the girl and he smiled at the surprise in her eyes when they met his.

"You don't?"

"No, I sure don't. As a matter of fact I know you're not crazy because if you are then that means I am too."

Her tiny brow scrunched up for a moment and then she smiled. "You have dreams too?"

Jedidiah smiled back and tapped his finger against his temple. "I don't have dreams but I do see things. I saw a dark cloud hanging over a town but could not see clearly enough to know it was this town."

"I saw the town clear." Susette stated, seeming a bit more sure of herself now that Jedidiah had shared what he was with her.

"Is there anything else you've seen that you think we should know about?" Jedidiah asked.