Chapter Sixty

Chapter Sixty: We Have a Debt to Live

Colt shoved his hand through his hair and growled as he stared out over the lake. "Fine, y'all. But only one more night. I don't want to stay in one place out in the open any longer than that." He finally relented.

"Thank you, Colt." Rachel managed to choke out, sounding as if the words themselves might kill her. "We really need one more day of rest."

"Uh..sure." Colt mumbled. He was glad when Evangeline settled in beside him on the rock he had sat upon and everyone else wandered off, leaving them alone.

"Are you okay?" she asked quietly. "You haven't said much since Katherine's outburst yesterday."

"You know she might be right," Colt sighed as he squinted into the sunlight. "This might all just be a pointless journey and we all could very well die before it's over."

Colt wondered what Evangeline was thinking as she sat beside him with her arm wrapped through his and her head on his shoulder. They simply sat there in silence, breathing in harmony while Jedidiah and Susette splashed in the water. Finally Evangeline turned her head and kissed his arm.

"Colt, even if we all die, I still can't see how this journey or any time we have is a waste. We are all alive today, right now, and that's more than what most of the world has gotten."

"Who would have thought a spoiled little southern belle would be so wise?" Colt teased.

Evangeline nudged him a little with her shoulder. "Stick with me, outlaw, and I'll take ya places."

"You already take me places." Colt assured her with a wink and Evangeline laughed lightly.

"Colt, I know we may not get a happily ever after where we grow old and gray together but that just means we have to live every single day we do have left to its fullest. We have to cling to each other, love each other fiercely and fight tooth and nail for every single moment we can get. We can't just give up hope the way Katherine did. We can't abandon one another and say it's no use. We owe it to all those who have lost their lives to live ours. We owe it to Loralie, Sara, Frankie, Lily, Silas, Charlotte, my mama and papa and countless other souls who don't have any more right nows. We have a debt to live."

"You know I won't let anything happen to you, don't you Evangeline? Those monsters will have to kill me first."

"I know." Evangeline smiled up at him. "And who knows, we all might be just fine. Bigger miracles have happened. You do realize that my aunt just thanked you for something, don't you?"

Colt nodded and a small smile tugged at his lips when he remembered how it had almost sounded as if Rachel was choking on the polite word. "Yeah I reckon you're right." Colt pushed himself to his feet.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going after Katherine.'

"You are?" Evangeline asked, clearly surprised. Colt sighed and pulled off his hat before shoving his hand through his hair.

"Yeah, I reckon I am. I'm hoping I can talk her into coming back. This group is a family and I'd like to keep what's left of it together."

"Do you want me to come?" Evangeline offered.

"No, you stay here and rest. I won't be gone long. She left on foot and I'll take a horse and catch her quickly."

Evangeline nodded and relaxed on the rock, lying on her back and letting the sun soak her face. "Whatever you say, Colt. You are the ruthless leader after all."