Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten: If you're gonna shoot me with something I'd just as soon it wasn't your gun

Holy shit, mother of Mary, dear sweet baby Jesus! The damned woman was naked and even Colt was alive enough to notice that much. Colt cursed under his breath when he felt his cock twitch.

He didn't want this woman. Colt didn't want any woman. He just wanted to get back to killing rabid and sleeping on the ground until the day he was lucky enough to die.

"You gonna stare all day or come on over here?" the woman purred. Colt looked down at her feet, then followed her long legs up and up to the juncture of blond curls between her thighs. She had well rounded, feminine hips, a lean stomach and her breasts were some of the fullest and firmest he'd ever laid his eyes on.

Her face was beautiful too. Full, heart shaped lips, upturned nose, big green eyes and a thick head of sandy colored waves that hung down her back and over her dainty shoulders. With that all naked skin and beauty in front of him Colt knew that his body should be trembling with lust, his mind clouded with it, but instead he felt nothing.

His pecker certainly seemed to be feeling a few things but the rest of him still felt numb. Dead. Colt turned to walk out the door and find a room to be alone when the woman grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"Where you going? Don't you want me?" Colt swallowed hard and shook his head slowly. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her hand off of him before walking around her and grabbing her robe off the worn rug.

He held it out for her and saw the confusion in her green eyes as she reached for it quickly. Her cheeks flushed red as she pulled the robe around herself and secured it tightly.

"What do you want then? Why did you help me?" the woman asked with confusion. Colt just shrugged. He'd helped her because he'd needed to. He'd needed to make a difference to someone since he'd failed his wife and daughter. That didn't mean he wanted a damn thing from her and he certainly didn't want her body, no matter how nice it might have looked.

Colt walked over and picked up his saddlebags and sack. He couldn't leave just yet, not with those flesh eaters in a frenzy below the window as they feasted on their meal, but he certainly didn't want to be in this room anymore.

Colt only wanted to be alone. Forever. Until whenever it was God saw fit to just let him die.

"Can you talk?" The woman asked, coming to stand in front of him. Colt shook his head. The woman scratched at her thick sandy hair and frowned. "Thank you for what you did with those men. I am a whore but they were trying to force me after I'd told them no..."

Colt nodded because he had heard. He had nothing against whores. People were born into the life they were born into. Some rose above it and some didn't but that didn't make one any better than the rest. And a man had no right to force any woman, even a whore, if she wasn't willing to lay with him.

He opened the door and stepped into the dark and dirty hall. "There are plenty of rooms if you'd like to rest a while." The woman said quietly, still looking very confused and Colt was certain she appeared ashamed though he had no idea what she'd be ashamed about.

He nodded again and then walked away, the sound of his footsteps echoing off the surrounding walls. He rounded a corner into another long hall and tried a door. It swung open and Colt stepped into the small room. It was complete with a fireplace, wardrobe, dressing curtain, brass bed, two arm chairs and a tiny table. He shut and locked the door behind him and let out a long breath.

Colt looked at that bed longingly. He was so damned tired..... Tossing his belongings to the floor and slipping off his guns, boots, pants and shirt, Colt climbed into the bed wearing only his white long johns, stained from so many weeks of wear. He collapsed against the lumpy mattress and closed his eyes, willing sleep to come.