Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Forty-Eight: Tears, Truth Telling and Lovemaking

"Miss Charlotte, I can't help but notice that you seem upset." Silas said as he entered their bedroom that night.

Charlotte looked up from the mirror that she'd been staring into while brushing her hair. "I am, I suppose. I apologize that I cannot hide my emotions better."

Charlotte felt herself tremble when Silas came up behind her and bent low, laying his chin on her shoulder and caressing her bare arm with his calloused finger. "You never have to hide your feelings from me. You know that." He whispered against her ear. "Are you thinking about Little Grace?"

Charlotte felt her heart ache at the mention of her daughter's name. "Always. But no, that's not what I'm worried about."

Silas took the brush from her hand and began to run it through her long chestnut hair himself. "What is it then, Miss Charlotte?"

"I'm worried about everyone. I know that everyone lived through this most recent nightmare but everyone is most certainly not alright."

"You can't be worrying so much about everybody else. They'll figure things out."

"I don't like Rachel, Silas, and it's not in my nature to feel such a strong dislike toward a person who has never personally wronged me. Evangeline wouldn't say what was going on with her but she made Ox cry. Ox is too sweet a man to treat badly. And Katherine has not come out of her room since she returned. And poor little Susette is sleeping on the sofa downstairs with Frankie on the floor beside her because apparently Frankie and Comanche are no longer speaking....." Charlotte's voice trailed off at the amused look on Silas's face.

"Miss Charlotte, you just focus on you and let everything else work itself out."

Charlotte felt tears fill her eyes and she broke down. Her sobs filled the quiet room as she buried her face in her hands. Silas scooped her up into his arms and carried her to the bed. He laid her down gently and Charlotte curled her body as tight against his as possible.

"Come on now, Miss Charlotte—I know these tears aren't for everyone else. Talk to me."

Charlotte sniffed and breathed Silas in. Almost everyone had taken baths tonight, needing them terrible after the last couple of days, and Silas smelled strongly of witch hazel. "I just miss her so badly." She whispered.

Silas caressed her hair gently and kissed the top of her head. "I know you do. I miss her too." He replied, sadness coloring his voice. His dark hand took hers and he laced their fingers together. Charlotte found herself staring at the way their hands contrasted and yet fit together perfectly.

"I'm sorry, Silas. I wanted to be strong...." Charlotte said tearfully.

Silas released his hold on her hand and placed his finger under her chin, tipping her head up so she was looking into his eyes. "Any person who would call you weak because you cry while thinking about that angel has no heart, Miss Charlotte."

"I wanted to be strong for you." Charlotte admitted, seeing the tears filling Silas's deep brown eyes.

That warm, tender smile that Charlotte loved so much lit up Silas's face and he kissed her tenderly. "How about we just be weak together?" he offered as he pulled away.

Charlotte loved him more in that moment than she had ever loved him before. Gently she pressed her lips to his and as he pulled away, Charlotte felt his lips dancing across her cheeks, tasting her tears and kissing them away.