Chapter Fifty-Two

Chapter Fifty-Two: Training, Broken Men and Opting Out

Colt held the lasso loosely in his hand as he slipped quietly down the alley toward the single rabid. The creature was currently walking headfirst into the brick wall again and again and again. Dull thuds echoed in the air with each impact.

Colt shook his head and chuckled silently. A dumb rabid would be the best way to start the training. Colt stood straight and began to twirl the lasso over his head, picking up speed quickly.

The rabid saw the movement and turned to face him. "Gnnaaaa!" it moaned as it headed Colt's way. Its forehead was a bloody mess of shredded skin because of the bricks and its lips and chin had been nearly ripped off.

Colt didn't hesitate before swinging the rope and tossing the loop over the rabid's head and around its shoulders. He pulled the rope tight and secured the rabid's arms at its sides.

It kept coming, eager for a meal, but Colt unhooked the second rope from his belt and strode forward, delivering a kick to the monsters chest that had it falling backward to the ground. In one swift motion, Colt secured the rabid's ankles and rendered it helpless on the ground.

He shook his head as it attempted to scoot across the dirt to him. Its bloody jaws gnashed loudly as it moaned and shrieked with desperation.

"That's pathetic." Colt stated blankly as he glanced at Ox. The big man nodded in agreement, his face looking a little green.

Colt grabbed the rabid by the ankles and began dragging it back onto the street and down the road toward the warehouse. Ox swung his club, protecting Colt from a few other wandering rabid that were close enough to pose a real threat. The moment the two men entered the warehouse with their catch, Susette hid behind Katherine while Lily took several quick steps back into the shadows.

"Colt, it's still alive!" Evangeline exclaimed.

Colt shrugged as he released his hold on the rabid and kicked its leg. "In a manner of speaking." He agreed.

"What exactly are we going to do with it?" Katherine questioned as she tried to get Susette to come out from behind her skirts.

Colt dragged the rabid to a post beside the wall and signaled for Ox to help him. Working together the two men stood the rabid up and secured it with a third rope to the post.

"We're not fighting with this one." Colt assured the group. "I want you women to learn a few things fighting with us men and each other before you try it with a rabid. I know that most of you have killed plenty rabid in the heat of the moment for self-preservation and that's good cuz it means I got less work to do with ya, but there are two of you that have no experience with rabid."

Colt knew this was a bit on the dark and morbid side however he knew of no better way to teach them about killing rabid than to let them practice on a rabid.

He looked at Susette who was peaking around Katherine's skirt and motioned her forward. Colt could see the fear in the little girl's eyes but he admired the way she walked forward with her head high; even if her steps were tinier than usual.

Colt turned his gaze to Lily as well and she hesitantly took her place beside Susette. "Alright, you two, when you look at what I brought in here, what do you see?"

"A sick person." Lily whispered.

Colt shook his head and followed her gaze. He took in the sight of the rabid; the bloodied head, the shredded jaw and lips, the gray, lifeless eyes that held no evidence of humanity and the way it kept snapping the air and jerking against the ropes holding its body to the post.