Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

April 1887

Charlotte was not happy with the new living arrangements that she, Silas and Grace found themselves in the last two days. That man, J.B., glared at them and had taken to calling Silas a 'negro' since the word 'nigger' had earned him several harsh and painful reactions from Colt....

And Colt was something that Charlotte didn't understand.

He wouldn't speak to her and he almost seemed to be in physical pain whenever he saw Grace or the child made a noise. And yet he and Silas had formed an almost friendly alliance and Silas seemed certain they could trust Colt and since Charlotte respected Silas's opinion, she trusted the tall man with haunted blue eyes.

And then there was Katherine. Now Charlotte had worked hard in her life to never hate but between J.B. and Katherine it was a hard way of life to maintain. J.B. hated Silas and his harsh treatment of the man Charlotte loved caused her to want to hate him, and Katherine.... Well she seemed to like Silas too much.

Brushing up against the man, flashing her long tanned legs and awarding him far too much of her chest to view. Silas, true to character, had been kind to the woman and nothing more but Charlotte still felt that green monster of jealousy deep in her gut.

Charlotte glanced over at Silas as Grace nursed her breast beneath the cover of the sheet. Silas was staring into their small fire and Charlotte wondered what he was thinking.

"Silas..." she whispered and he looked over at her, a smile tugging at his lips as he did.

"You've been very quiet since we joined these people. Are you okay?" he asked. Charlotte smoothed out her skirt and nodded, her eyes automatically going to Katherine as the blond came out of the woods followed closely by J.B. who was adjusting his pants.

Charlotte realized that Silas had followed her gaze and when she looked back at the man he appeared angry.

"You're worried about that woman." He stated as Katherine waved at him and he turned away from her in response.

"No, I'm not." Charlotte lied. Of course she was! Katherine was beautiful, desirable and clearly open to lying with any man who wanted to lay with her. She had long legs and thick golden hair, no stretch marks were visible on her tight tummy and her breasts wouldn't be full of a baby's milk.... And she had no child for a man to worry himself with taking care of. What woman wouldn't worry if a woman like that came after her man?

"Have more faith in me than that." Silas grumbled as he pushed himself to his feet and slid his shot gun over his shoulder.

"Where are you going?" Charlotte asked guiltily and Silas sighed.

"To patrol." Silas replied. "It is my turn."

"Be careful." Charlotte urged and Silas smiled comfortingly. He crouched down and laid his hand against her cheek.

"I love you, Miss Charlotte. Only you."

Charlotte was ashamed of her own jealousy and insecurities. She bit her lip as she nodded and felt tears burn her eyes. She had never been with a man who was loyal, faithful and actually cared about her.

Instead of replying, she feared she may cry if she tried to speak, Charlotte turned her head and kissed his palm. She saw his dark eyes narrow in the firelight and his throat bobbed as he swallowed hard.

"Alright then." Silas stated hoarsely and then he turned and headed off into the woods, nodding at Colt as he went.

Charlotte felt a shiver pass over her spine and she turned to see J.B. watching her from the second small fire about twenty feet from the one Silas had built for him to share with Charlotte and Grace.