Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty:

Katherine was sleeping peacefully and dreaming of Ox. Imagining the way it would feel when he finally felt the time was right to kiss her; touch her; make love to her.....

She moaned as she woke up, wishing she could stay lost in her dreams just a little while longer and then let out a scream when she opened her eyes and found a face less than six inches from her own.

Susette jumped backward, falling on her backside while her eyes filled with tears. Katherine quickly sat up and held out a hand for the girl.

"I'm sorry I scared you, Susette!" she exclaimed, pulling the tiny girl to her feet. Katherine released her hold on the girls hand and rubbed her tired face. "But you scared the life out of me too. You can't just stare at somebody like that while they're sleeping."

"Sorry, ma'am."

"And stop calling me ma'am." Katherine scolded. "I told you to call me Katherine."

Susette simply nodded and sat down on the small sofa, folding her hands in her lap and staring down at them.

Katherine knew she shouldn't be so cross with the girl but she had never been much for mornings. She had been born and raised in a brothel, after all, and was accustomed to sleeping most of the day.

"I'm hungry, Katherine." Susette whispered.

"Go to the kitchen and get something to eat." Katherine urged. "I'd like to sleep a bit longer." Katherine knew that everyone else was probably already awake but she had not gotten much sleep the night before. Susette had had several nightmares and Katherine had been forced to comfort her through them.

Katherine cursed the fact that this girl had taken to her so quickly. Katherine did not have a mothering bone in her body. She had never been mothered herself. Her mother had always been too busy to deal much with her young daughter and Katherine had all but raised herself.

"Won't you please come with me? I'm scared."

"Scared of what?" Katherine snapped. "I assure you there are no rabid on the train!"

"Please, Katherine?"

Katherine looked into those innocent blue eyes and sighed. "Come here and let me fix those lopsided braids first and then we'll go find some breakfast."

When Katherine and Susette entered the dining room a short time later, Ox stood quickly from his seat and walked toward them with a happy smile on his face.

Katherine felt her heart skip a beat at his obvious joy. It was strange to think that just her presence could make the man so excited. Katherine had never had anyone whose face lit up at the sight of her but Ox's did.

"Good morning, Miss Kate."

"Good morning, Ox." Katherine replied, smiling back. She then rolled her eyes when Susette tugged on her skirts and tried to hide behind her. "What are you doing?"

"Hiding," came the muffled response.

"Why?" Katherine questioned.

"Because he is big and he scares me."

"Well gosh, Miss Susette, ma'am—" Ox said quietly as he crouched down, bringing himself closer to the girl's level. "—I ain't nothing for a lady such as yourself to be scared of."

"But you're so big!" Susette countered, poking her head around to look at him. "And your voice is deep. And your hand is bigger than my whole head."