Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight: I'll let you know when you can touch

"So how long we gonna stay up on this roof?" Frankie demanded impatiently as she paced the rooftop several hours later.

Comanche looked up from the knife he was sharpening and watched her slender body move. She had removed that oversized duster coat and Comanche had found himself unable to look away from her long, lithe frame for longer than a few moments at a time. Yes he had actually adopted the ridiculous name the woman had given him. Truthfully he liked it better than Phillip. Names were not important to a man who avoided people at all costs. He had never had much use for a real name, it had been his so-called white family who had thought he needed one.

Comanche was a loner. Life had turned him into one. Truthfully he had accidently wound up on this building with these men. He had simply been passing through to buy what little supplies a man like him needed and that horde of flesh eaters had come out of nowhere. It hadn't been his first time meeting the flesh eaters.

He was a hunter of them. He enjoyed killing them. It broke the dull boredom of the existence he'd been living since the death of all he loved and his own imprisonment.

"I reckon we'll be having to get off of it soon. We've just got a handful of them biscuits of Phillips left and I ain't wanting to starve to death." Matthew grumbled.

"Comanche. My name is Comanche." Comanche spoke up. "It looks as if the flesh eaters have spread out a bit and lost some of their interest in us. We may be able to get down and away without too much trouble."

"You got the man to change his name?" Gibbs demanded of Frankie and the woman stopped pacing and shrugged as she put her hands on her narrow hips and smiled.

"What can I say? I'm just good." She winked over at Comanche and he smiled lazily at her. She was beautiful. Perhaps not in the traditional sense of the word but there was something about her that Comanche found irresistible. Her confidence, her spunk, her spark were all things that Comanche could appreciate.

"That remains to be seen." Comanche replied and he saw the spark in Frankie's dark eyes and it heated his blood. She was the first woman he'd come across to cause this undeniable desire within him. He was not an innocent man by any means but all the women before he had bedded simply because he 'wanted' to. He knew that he would bed Frankie and he knew he wanted to but he also knew it was more. He needed to. If he didn't then that lean willowy body and bright smile would haunt his dreams for many nights to come.

"Hey now!" Gibbs grumbled. "I might be a open minded uncle and she might be a grown woman but I won't have you speakin' about that stuff right there in front of me."

Comanche was about to apologize when Frankie laughed and strode across the rooftop, wrapping her uncle in a side hug and kissing his bearded cheek.

"Don't be jealous, Uncle Gibbs, he's just for fun. You'll always be the only real man in my life."

Comanche was certain he saw Gibbs blush beneath that beard and Frankie laughed more loudly before walking to the edge of the roof and looking over.

"What is that?" she asked. Comanche was on his feet in one fluid motion and at her side in an instant. She seemed started as she looked up at his face.

"Personal space there, Comanche.... I'll let you know when you can touch." Comanche looked into her eyes for several long moments, tempted to show her that he was the type of man who did what he wanted but she shoved him back and pointed at the road.