Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve:

Charlotte snuggled up closer to the warm pillow she was curled against, wrapping her arm tighter around it. The gentle drum beat beneath her ear picked up tempo as she moaned and the blankets around her tightened their hold.

She had never felt so warm, so safe, as she felt in this very moment. Charlotte tried to remember ever having felt safe and secure before. Had she? Abusive parents who had no concern for her welfare had led to a husband who had been cold and indifferent at the best of times and just plain mean and heavy handed at the worst.

Her pillow shifted a little beneath her head and Charlotte found herself frowning. Since when did pillows move of their accord? Slowly she opened her eyes and then swallowed hard when she realized she wasn't wrapped around a pillow..... Her head was resting a chest, a broad chest and it was two strong dark arms that were squeezing her tightly, not a blanket.

"Miss Charlotte, you waking up now?" Silas's gentle voice washed over her and Charlotte found her lips curving into a smile as she looked up into his brown eyes. "Now there's a nice sight." He said, though she noticed that he swallowed hard and his voice sounded a bit tighter than it did normally.

Charlotte tried to remember how they had gotten here.... Silas had blood on his lip... Blood from what? A flash of memory came back to her then. The man in the cellar. The horrible things he had said to Silas and the way he had touched her.....

She stiffened as fear filled her and Silas shushed her patiently. "It's okay, Miss Charlotte, you're safe now."

"Thank you for staying with me." Charlotte whispered, turning her gaze back to his chest to avoid his eyes.

"I said I would. I'll always keep my word to you, Miss Charlotte." Charlotte wanted to reply and ask him why that was, why he cared so much, but Grace chose that moment to awaken with a loud wailing cry.

Charlotte pulled away from Silas and tried to sit up but pain filled her body. Her arms and legs were sore from trying to fight off her attacker, her breasts hurt from his painful squeezes and her face was aching from his punch.

Silas slid away from her and stood. "I'll get her, Miss Charlotte."

Charlotte watched him walk around the bed and she couldn't help but smile as his eyes lit up when he picked the screaming infant up from her cradle.

"Now what seems to be the matter, Little Grace?" he cooed gently. "You just tell Silas all about it and I'll see what I can't do to reconcile the problem."

Charlotte tried to imagine Jackson being so sweet and loving toward that little girl as Silas cradled her against his chest and rocked her gently, never taking his brown eyes off the now quiet infant. She couldn't imagine it and she knew that was because it never would have happened. Jackson had been angry at her for getting with child and he had already hated Grace without ever having met the beautiful angel. She had no doubt that his resentment would have only grown with every cry the infant made and every outfit she dirtied.

Charlotte fell tears fill her eyes when Silas began to sing quietly to Grace. It was as if the man had simply forgotten there was anyone else in the entire world as he looked down at the baby and rocked her gently in his strong arms.

"Swing low sweet chariot coming for to carry me home...." Charlotte sniffed as she fought back her tears and Silas stopped singing as a smile split his face and he turned his gaze toward her.

"This little girl is an angel, plain and simple." he admitted and then his smile turned downward. "You're crying." He stated. "I don't like the way those tears look in your eyes, Miss Charlotte, ma'am."