Chapter Fifty-Four

Chapter Fifty-Four: Recon Missions and Rabid Brains

Katherine woke with the sunshine in her face the following morning and breathed in the scent of Ox's skin as she lay with her head on his chest. She pressed her trembling fingertips against the tight skin as she thought about what they had shared several times during the night.

Katherine had been with man men; more men then she could possibly hope to count, name or remember but being with Ox—being held so tenderly in his arms as he loved her so thoroughly—was something she would never forget for as long as she lived. And she knew that never again would she willingly give her body to any man who was not her Ox.

He had seemed so unsure of himself when she had stepped into the room last night but his confidence had risen quickly and Katherine was not surprised why—Ox certainly knew his way around a woman's body.

And he had adapted to her moans and responses, learning quickly what she liked. Katherine smiled to herself. Ox was certainly not dumb as his family tried to say—he was simply very wise in areas not commonly known to parents and bitter aunts.

But now it was morning and Katherine had no idea what was going to happen. She had never before woken up in the arms of a man after making love with him the night before. What was expected? Would he still be looking at her with the love he had the day before? While she wanted to scold herself for thinking that he wouldn't, she couldn't help but think it none the less.

Katherine had only ever been with men that wanted one thing from her but then again, Ox had only ever had women who wanted one thing from him. Katherine wanted him, all of him, forever. Even though in this new world, forever could prove to be no more than a week, a couple of days or simply a few hours.

"Good morning, Miss Kate."

Katherine looked up from Ox's stomach to find him watching her with those boyish eyes of his. Nervously Kate studied them, searching for any signs of regret and praying she'd see the emotion she longed to see.

And there it was. Love.

"Good morning, Ox."

His big hand reached across his body and smoothed golden waves of hair behind her ear. "I never have woken up with a woman in my arms before, Miss Kate, not like this."

Katherine snuggled her naked body against his, loving the way his hot skin felt against hers. She felt him harden against her inner thigh but the look on his face never changed. He didn't seem to be in any hurry to have his way with her again. Instead he seemed peaceful, content and happy to simply hold her. "I've never woken up in the arms of a man either, Ox."

"I sure am glad I found somebody to watch Susette last night."

Katherine laughed. "Me too."

"It sure makes me feel good to know you're happy about what we did, Miss Kate. The women I was with before didn't want nobody to know they—"

Katherine cut him off with a kiss. "Ox—" she began as she slowly pulled away. "—I am not those women."

"Shit, Miss Kate, that's true." he grinned from ear to ear. "You're not."

"You know what I just realized?" Katherine asked as she glanced out the window at the bright sky outside.

Ox followed her gaze. "What's that?"

"It's well past dawn and Colt hasn't been banging on our doors yet and demanding we all practice."

Ox sighed. "I'd say that means he and Evie made up."