Chapter Fifty-Six

Chapter Fifty-Six: Did God Hate Them That Badly?

Silas fought the urge to gag as he shouldered his way past one of the rabids hanging from the trees the group had camped beneath.

He walked only a few feet from camp, sought privacy behind a boulder and quickly went about relieving himself while keep both eyes scanning his surroundings.

While they hadn't had any more rabid stumble upon their camp since just after Susette had been bitten, everyone was still intense and on edge. Though Silas suspected that was more due to the fevered little girl currently moaning, swollen and bruised back in camp.

Silas buttoned his pants, readjusted his gun belt and straightened the strap for his shot gun across his chest. His bandolier was growing looser and he knew he'd have to tighten it soon. If the rabid didn't kill them all then the lack of steady meals and the constant traveling would.

"What are you doing?" Charlotte's voice came from behind him just before her arms circled his waist and her head pressed against his shoulder. "I was worried about you."

"I'm sorry, Miss Charlotte. I was just answering the call of nature."

"Katherine is asking for you. She wants you to come look at Susette again."

"I've checked on her three times this morning." Silas sighed.

"Yes but she wants you to check again." Charlotte replied gently. "She sees that girl as her daughter so –"

"I understand." Silas assured his wife as he turned in her arms and held her tight. "How are you?"

Charlotte let out a trembling sigh but her eyes were dry when she looked up at him. "It's hard to watch... I see her fevered and shivering and all I can think of is Grace. It just isn't fair that children are still dying from sicknesses and snake bites when there is already so much new death."

"Susette, may not die, Miss Charlotte. There' s a good chance she'll make it."

"But lose her arm."

"She might." Silas whispered sadly. "I pray that she doesn't."

"Me too.' Silas and Charlotte sat there in the quiet and held each other a moment longer. "Katherine will be wondering where you are," Charlotte urged.

Silas nodded and pulled away from her. He kept one arm wrapped around her waist as he led her back into camp.

Katherine was sitting beside the fire, which had burned down to nothing now that everyone had eaten breakfast and they had no need for its flames. She was holding Susette in her arms and rocking her as she hummed quietly.

Ox was pacing behind them, rubbing furiously at his neck and appearing tired, fatigued and heart broken. Rachel and Jedidiah were down by the river, talking quietly and Evangeline was putting away the dishes that she had just cleaned.

"Where is Colt?" Silas asked.

"I don't know." Evangeline replied with a shrug. "He said he was going to take a walk."

Silas nodded and then walked to Susette. "Can I have me a look at that arm?" He asked. Susette's eyes were glassy and unfocused. Her brow was hot to the touch of Silas's wrist and her skin ashen.

But it was the sight of the poor girl's hand and arm that formed that rock to settle into the pit of his stomach. She was so bruised and swollen that skin appeared close to bursting and was such a dark color of purple and black swirls that it didn't appear natural.