Chapter Sixty-Five

Chapter Sixty-Five: You Can't Outrun Them

Ox stepped into the hotel kitchen and glanced around realizing instantly that it was empty. He had the cart ready and the mare and Comanche's horse saddled. Ox wasn't sure what was going on. Evangeline had come to him and told him trouble was brewing and he needed to get things ready. He had gone to the stable and Comanche had quickly exited with Colt.

"Evie?!" Ox called out. "Sue?" No one answered. Ox was about to walk out when he saw the apple pie sitting on the counter and felt his stomach rumble. It rumbled so loudly and for so long that Ox was clamping his hand over it to ease the cramps.

It had been a long time since he'd tasted pie and while his Aunt Rachel wasn't his favorite person in the world, the fact remained that she was a damned good cook.

He used his hand to grab a chuck of the pie and it crumbled in his palm. The thick syrupy juices ran down his arm and he licked them up. He savored one slow bite of the pie, moaning at the deliciousness. Life had lost a lot of its meaning for Ox since losing Katherine but he figured being able to enjoy the little things was the key to carrying on.

Still munching on the pie in his hand, Ox stepped into the sitting room. "Evie! Susette! I have everything ready, let's go!" he called.

Evangeline and Susette came quickly down the staircase and Ox frowned when he saw their tear streaked faces. "What's wrong?" he asked. "Shit, Evie, what's going on around here?"

"There are rabid, Ox, and the doctor feeds people who come to this town to them....." Evangeline's voice trailed off as she eyed the small bit of pie still clutched in Ox's hand. "Please tell me you haven't eaten that pie."

"Uh..." Ox dropped the remaining crumbs quickly. "Why?"

"Because the doctor gave us that pie, Ox! What if it's poisoned?!" Tears filled her eyes anew as Ox's heart began to beat a bit faster and sweat slicked his brow.

"Well I hope it ain't." he mumbled. "Now where's Jedidiah cuz we gotta go!"

"He died." Susette whimpered and Ox groaned. Not again! He held his arms out and Susette ran to him. Ox scooped her up and glanced at the small sack that was tossed over Evangeline's shoulder.

"Let's go to the—" Ox didn't have time to finish his statement because his words were cut off when a single gunshot echoed from down the street. Silence reigned as Ox, Evangeline and Susette stared at each other with expressions that were mixed with confusion, shock and fear.

Then the sounds of the moans began making their through the open front door. So many, so loud that it was like a rumbling thunder echoing in the distance. Never had Ox heard something so terrifying and in that moment as he stared at his terrified younger sister and held this trembling child that was a daughter to him in his arms, he realized for the first time what true fear and terror truly felt like.

***

Colt had his gun drawn as he and Comanche silently crept onto the porch of the cheerful yellow house. His gaze met Comanche's and the Indian nodded. Colt grabbed the door handle and tested it, cursing when he realized it was locked.

He tilted his head toward the door and Comacnhe stepped into place. Colt held his gun ready and Comanche swung out his foot, splintering the wooden doorframe and sending the bright white door swinging inward. It crashed off the wall and Colt burst inside, his eyes scanning every inch of the room at once.

Empty.

He listened close but could hear nothing. His eyes were drawn to a door across the sitting room. Aware that Comanche was right behind him, Colt made his way to that door and tested the handle. This one was not locked.