Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five: So Much For the Plan

Silas entered the room in time to hear Colt's words. "How many men?" he wanted to know.

"My guess would be six." Comanche replied. Silas glanced at him and Frankie. Frankie's face was pale and covered in blood, dirt and sweat, though it appeared as if someone had tried to wipe her clean. She was leaning against Comanche and keeping her weight off her ankle.

"What did you do to your leg? Did you hurt your ankle again?" Silas questioned.

"There was a rabid but my ankle will be fine." Frankie assured them. "We got bigger things to worry about then my ankle."

"I hate to agree but you're right." Colt admitted as the rest of the women came in from the kitchen and Ox walked down the stairs rubbing his eyes.

"I overslept." He mumbled. "What's everybody look so worried about?"

Silas walked to Charlotte and put his arm protectively around her shoulders.

"There are six men." Colt stated. "They were too far off to get a clear view of their faces but they are definitely riding here. I ain't a betting man but it don't take much to know that these are the men that lookout was waiting for. I want the women to stay in the hotel with rifles. You can shoot from the windows if there's a need for it but I'm hoping to settle this peaceably."

"You honestly think that's possible when Comanche killed their man?" Silas questioned.

"Comanche killed him protecting all of us." Frankie spoke up.

"There's no time to get in a debate. What's done is done and I would have done the same—" Colt's gaze went to the scalp still hanging from Comanche's waist. "—well almost the same." He amended. "Men, get rifles and come with me to the roof but stay low. Ladies, get guns and ammunition and set up beside a window but stay out of sight and don't fire a single shot unless we start firing shots, understood?"

"I'd rather come up on the roof with you." Evangeline countered, stepping closer to Colt.

Colt shook his head. "No."

Evangeline opened her mouth but Ox cut her off. "Evie, I don't want you up there either. Now you're gonna do what Colt says because he'll keep us all safe if we just listen to him." Ox smiled at Colt. "Ain't that right?"

Silas could see the flicker of doubt in Colt's eyes but Colt nodded. "Of course I will, Ox." Colt took a deep breath. "Now let's get back up there. I want to have eyes on these bastards."

Silas gave Charlotte a quick kiss and her arms went around his waist, squeezing him tightly. "You be careful up there." She whispered.

Silas laid a gentle kiss to her dark hair. "Of course, Miss Charlotte."

He stepped away from Charlotte and headed up the stairs with Comanche, Ox and Jedidiah right behind him. Silas glanced over his shoulder and felt his lips curve in a smile when he caught Colt sharing a tender kiss with Evangeline. Silas was glad to see that Colt had found happiness, no matter how short lived it might prove to be in this new and dangerous world.

Colt took the lead before the men walked out the door onto the roof. Silas and the others followed his lead and stayed crouched low as they made their way to the edge of the rooftop and Colt picked up the binoculars.

The six men were just on the edge of town and yet still too far away for them to make out details of their appearance. Colt cursed and lowered the binoculars quickly.