Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six: Sad Clouds, Stolen Kisses and.... A Survivor?

Even the sky felt the sadness as ten people stood around the tiny make-shift coffin they had lowered into the freshly dug hole in the ground. The clouds could not hold back their tears and rain was soon pouring down, soaking the grievers as they stared down into that hole and at the wooden crate that held Grace.

There was nothing fair about this moment. Nothing right. Katherine did not want to question God but why would an all-powerful being who claimed to love humanity, take away such a new and innocent life?

She glanced over at Ox and saw the tear hovering on his lashes. Her hand reached out and clasped his and he squeezed it tight before sniffing and clearing his throat. Ox was a different man than Katherine had ever known. He had a very sensitive soul and he seemed to genuinely care about everyone he met and love them as if they were his own family. Grace's sickness and now her death were taking a toll on him.

"Lord, we won't question your ways and we understand that you only call the best of us home early." Jedidiah stated as he bowed his head and folded his hands in front of him. Katherine glanced around. Ox was also bowing his head in prayer, as were Rachel, Evangeline and Colt. Frankie was biting furiously at her lip and glaring down at the grave while Comanche simply stood there staring out over the horizon. Katherine had no idea what the indian believed in... they didn't believe in God did they?

Silas was crouched down, tears streaming down his cheeks as he covered his head with his hands and Charlotte stood beside him, her shoulders back but her face full of pain as she looked down into the hole that was her daughters resting place.

Katherine closed her eyes and bowed her own head, feeling her own heart breaking for Charlotte and Silas.

"We may not understand why we had to lose such an innocent and sweet soul as Grace but our children are only ever borrowed from you, Lord, for they are truly your children. Now she is in a better place and will no longer have to see the horrors of this new world." Jedidiah stopped speaking and looked around the group. "Would anyone else care to say a few words?"

"I would." Charlotte whispered, everyone's heads whipped up to look at her, except for Silas who seemed completely lost in his grief. "I want to thank all of you for loving and caring for my daughter the way that you did. Grace would not have known that kind of love in the old world so at least this new world gave her a life full of love, even if it was a short life."

Once again silence fell over everyone and Katherine blinked away the rain falling in her eyes.

"We should all retire back to the train..." Jedidiah urged.

"I'll stay behind." Ox whispered down to Katherine. "To help cover the body."

"I should go in and help cook a meal. I'm sure Frankie will be grateful for the help." Ox nodded and Katherine, Frankie, Comanche, Rachel and Jedidiah all made their way back to the train. Katherine felt the hurt in her heart intensify when Silas cried out with anger and sadness at the sight of Colt grabbing a shovel to cover the box and fill the hole.

"Don't you dare cover her yet!" Silas bellowed and Colt lowered his head and took a step back as Charlotte crouched beside Silas and tried to comfort him. Katherine and Ox's eyes met and he swallowed hard. Katherine was glad that she was getting away..... There was too much pain in the air around that tiny hole.

***

Colt was growing uneasy. The longer they sat here in the rain the greater the chance that someone else would fall ill. He wanted to be away from the tears and the pain and lock himself back up in the engine car, hopefully with Evangeline by his side.