Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

"I'm fine to travel." Frankie argued as she stood in the sitting room, her crutches that Silas had fashioned for her braced under her arms. "Charlotte herself said that we're probably only a day or so from their Aunt's plantation so it won't be too long of a trip."

"I'm not positive though. It could be further." Charlotte spoke up.

Silas shook his head and Colt sighed. Why couldn't everyone just agree on something for once? Three days it had been since Frankie had been injured and Ox and Evangeline had come to be with their group.

Evangeline. Temptation. Beauty. Spoiled, rotten, rich girl who had had everything in her life handed to her on a silver platter and paraded herself around this damn house as if she was the queen of Sheba and everybody oughta just move out of her way, bow at her feet and do as she says.

Okay so she truly wasn't that bad but Colt chose to believe that she was. It made resisting her easier. She stirred something in him that he had never felt before. When he had walked into the house for supper that evening three days ago, his stomach finally calmed and his head no longer throbbing, and had seen that dark haired beauty sitting at the table, his cock had tightened instantly and his heart had started beating so damn fast he'd worried for his health.

Obviously Colt had felt desire before in his life but this feeling was different. He wanted her. All of her. He liked hearing her voice. He liked watching her move. He liked that dusting of freckles on her tiny nose and the single dimple she had in her left cheek. He even liked how small she was. Barely over five feet with curves exactly where a woman was meant to have them. He felt like a giant horse's ass every single time his eyes landed on her and that lust roared to life within him. He had made a vow to his wife, a vow he had honored throughout their short marriage, despite the fact that there hadn't been any real love between them for a long while during the beginning.

It was his fault Sarah was dead and Loralie was....worse... and the least he could do was honor his vows.

"Frankie, you need a few more days for your side." Silas insisted and Frankie snorted.

"I've been shot worse than this before!" she exclaimed. "And I didn't stay laid up in the bed for days those times. Now dammit, we should just load up what supplies are left and get to their damn aunts house!"

"As much as Ox and I are grateful for this place and the kindness you've all shown us..." Evangeline paused, her emerald eyes locking with Colt's momentarily and he could see the anger in them. She didn't like him. He didn't blame her. He'd been an ass to her since she'd arrived but dammit he had good reason. At least in his own mind. ".... We are very worried about our Aunt and desperate to know if she is okay."

"I have faith that she is." Comanche stated comfortingly and Evangeline graced him with a smile that showed that dimple in her full left cheek and lit up the damn sitting room like fireworks on Independence Day.

Colt felt his fist twitch with the urge to knock that comforting smile from Comanche's face and he saw that Frankie didn't seem happy about it either as she growled and stepped forward.

"More than damn likely she's rabid bait but they deserve to find out the truth sooner rather than later." She stated.

"You shouldn't say things like that." Ox argued quietly and Colt nodded.

"That's right. You shouldn't. There's been enough loss handed out to each of us without creating loss that ain't happened yet."

Frankie looked put in her place and unhappy about it, as she took a step back and Colt sighed. It seemed it was impossible to please everyone at once and he was fixing to just quit trying altogether.