Levels -/- Chapter 8 (Hospital)

(End of last chapter)

Trae was calling me, "Sorry Cali, i have to answer this" i say to her as i stand up and go behind this tree in my backyard so i an hear him. I answer the phone, "Hey" I say like I normally do when i answer the phone. "Alex, i'm in the hospital" he says in a shaky voice. "What!? Why!?" I ask quickly interrupting him. "I was in a car wreck" He says breathing deeply. "Oh my god, Trae!" I say loudly scared that he is hurt, "are you okay?" i ask worried. "Yeah i'm fine, But Jesse isn't....."

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

"Okay. I'm on my way" I say to Trae. I hang up then rush back over to where I was sitting. I walk run up to Jane "Trae and Jesse are in the hospital. I'm going over there, you can come too" I blurt our quickly. As I walk by Cali on my way to the back door I wave to her and she frowns. I didn't give a crap though. "Alex. Alex wait!" Jane yells catching up to me.
We get to the car and start driving to the hospital. It is a pretty good distance away from my house. It's out of the city, it's still close to the city, but it was just more convenient because we share it with the neighboring city. The car ride there was awkward because it was silent. I think it's just because we are both in our own minds worrying about to two friends. "What happened?" Jane finally says something. "They got in a wreck. I don't know much, but I do know that Trae says he okay." I tell Jane continuing to drive down the calm streets. The city isn't too big, it's a pretty good size but it's not huge. The traffic isn't bad here, but right now it is also 11:00 p.m.. "what about Jesse?" She asks me. I get this wave of dismay washes over me, "I-I don't know. Trae just said that he wasn't okay...". A police officer stops us, and i role down my window when he walks up to it. Out the window and behind the officer I see Jesse's car. The drivers side of the car is completely crushed. "Sir!" the police officer says loudly trying to get my attention. I look away from the wreck and look at the Officer, "Um... I'm sorry, can i ask you what happened here?" I ask her in sensitive voice. "Two boys your age were hit by a truck. It was a hit and run. I need you to take this road to get around the wreck" She points us to a road going the opposite direction. I gulp and turn down the road I was told to go down. "Are you okay Alex? your not even together with him right now." Jane says. I don't say anything back to her, instead i just keep driving.

Once we get to the hospital i park the car and quickly get out. Jane isn't even out of the car by the time i was walking into the doors. I walk up to the counter "Where - what floor is the boy that was in a wreck on?" i ask the middle aged lady at the front desk. "they barely just came in, he is just down the hall in the ER" she tells me pointing down the hallway. Jane walks in and catches up to me as I walk down the hall. Soon we see Trae pacing the hall, i pick up my pace till i get to Trae. When Trae hears us walk up he turns around and there is blood on his hands and clothing. "Oh my god, Trae" i say looking at him. he shakes his head "most of it isn't mine". I know exactly what he means. I take a step back from him scared of what happened to Jesse, then Trae come up and hugs me. I hug him back "your sure you okay?" I ask him as we hug. "I have a cut down my side but i'm fine" He assures me. I leave the hug and look around for a nurse or something. When this guy walks past me I stop him. I think he was a nurse, he was wearing what a nurses usually wear so... "My friend needs to be washed up and treated to" I tell the nurse. He nods and gestures for Trae to follow him. Trae does then a doctor walks up to me. "Do you know who this the boy is in that room" He asks me. "Yeah, he my..... friend" I say to the doctor. "whats his name and do you know of any legal guardians?" he also asks.

"His name is Jesse Prescott and He has a mother, I don't know about a father but..." I tell him. "thank you son. We'll keep you updated on him" He says starting to walk away. "wait!" I say loudly trying to stop the doctor. "I don't even know what happened, if he is okay, nothing. I want to know" I demand. The doctor walk back up to me "Your friends Jesse was hit by a truck. The truck hit him hard, and we don't know yet if he is going to be okay. There is several wounds and he has lost blood. Once i know more I will tell you" The doctor kindly tells me. I sigh and turn around to Jane, "lets go sit" i say walking to seats outside the room that Jesse is in. About an hour passes and me and Jane are still sitting in the seats out out Jesse's room. There has been doctors rushing in and out of the room the whole time I was here.

This lady comes walking down the hall crying. She walks in Jesse's room with a doctor. I new that she was probably his mother. She had blond hair just like Jesse and was also skinny and Fit, Just like Jesse is. Another 15 minutes pass and the lady comes walking back out. She looks around and when she see's me she walks over and hold her arms open like she wanted a hug. So i got up and hugged her. "Oh Alex. Are you okay? Are you hurt?" She asks after the hug, she backs up and looks at me. "Yeah i'm fine. I wasn't in the car. Is he okay?" i ask her. He is the only thing on my mind right now. Jane is asleep and Trae is with the doctors still he has a minor concision, bu they want to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't fall asleep. "What?" Jesse's mother asks confused, "They said that another 17 year old boy was in the car with him". I look at her then down at the floor, "That was my friend Trae, I broke up with Jesse and Trae was with him" I say slowly ashamed a little. I wish i was the one in the car with him. I wish i was the one in the bed in there, the one that was hurt. "Is it my fault?" i ask her looking back up. He hugs me again. "I didn't know Alex, Jesse barely tells me anything. It wasn't your fault, or Jesse's. It was the other driver." She says.

"Is he okay?" I ask her pulling away from the hug. She starts crying more. That's Never a good sign. Ever...... "He-Hes in a coma" She says in a cry. She kneels to the floor and cries even harder. I start to cry a little too. I Kneel down in-front of his mother and hug her. She hugs me back and continues to cry. Me, Jane, Trae and her are the only ones here. That mean Jesse has no one else. That means that his mother has nobody else. I was the only other one. Not including Jane, she is passed out beyond the point to wake up. I was the only one who actually also felt it in my heart.
Everything happened so fast, it went from a fun Friday to this... and I don't think I'll be leaving the hospital any time soon.
Me and Jesse's Mom move to the chairs and she calms down a little. She was tired though, cause she fell asleep fast after she was sitting in the kinda comfy chair. I was the only one awake. I couldn't fall asleep. And finally the doctor I talked to earlier came out of Jesse's room and kneel down in front of me. "You can come into his room now. There is a more comfortable chair, and a pull out sofa for his mother. If you are going to be staying, then you should move in there." He tells me quietly so he doesn't wake Jesse's mother. "Where are your parents?" The doctor asks. "They are out of town right now. But I have to cal my brother" I say getting up. Jesse's mother wakes up and I tell her we can move into the room. She goes into the room and Janes parents come and pick her up. After a little I finally go into Jesse's room. He is on the hospital bed, he has the oxygen mask on and all the fluids and gadgets. "You can sleep on the pull out bed" I tell his mom as I pull out the bed from the sofa. It's a small sofa but it is still big enough to sleep on. Jesse's Mom nods and gives me one more hug before going back to sleep on the couch. I go over to Jesse and put my hand on his, "I'm sorry Jesse...... I'll be here when you wake up" I tell him before I sit down and get comfortable in the chair next to his bed.