14

Updated 19/02/20

GRACIE'S MOTHER set the table, setting down extra plates for both Jacob and Embry. As her parents sat on either end of the table, she sat on one side - opposite both boys. It was chicken penne tonight and she hoped that the talking would be to a bare minimum. Instead it wasn't. Almost immediately, her father began talking to Jacob about how the car fixing is going which left an open invitation for her mother to begin talking to Embry.

"It was 'Embry', wasn't it?" She began, to which Gracie looked up from her plate in embarrassment. 

Embry smiled, "Yes, ma'am."

"Do you go to school with Jacob, on the reservation?" Her mother softly spoke, for once she made it seem like they were all such a calm, happy family. The Biers' well rehearsed facade. 

"Yes." Embry answered, "I met Bella and Gracie through Jacob." 

There was a short silence as Gracie took a deep breath, Jacob occasionally glancing at her, clearly trying not to laugh at the girl's expressions from time to time. 

"So when is Riley coming back?" Jacob asked, turning to both her parents. 

Gracie's dad was indulging in the penne. He was usually like that, once he is eating or watching TV, good luck receiving an answer from him. 

"Early May, so just over a month." Mrs Biers beamingly answered. 

Riley was definitely loved so much in the family. He had higher grades in high school than Gracie and was doing well in University too. But that wasn't the only reason, he was kind and protected Gracie from almost everything. There were no words to explain how much she missed him and how eager she was to see him soon. 

Embry seemed a little lost in the conversation, looking around to both Jacob and Gracie. Slowly, she realised that she hadn't ever mentioned her brother to Embry, truth was they didn't know much about either one of them. 

"Riley's my older brother," Gracie spoke to Embry who nodded, "he's studying at Oregon University." 

"He looks like Gracie, but taller..." Jacob laughed, trying to make a joke which everyone was laughing but the girl. 

Gracie had to fake a small laugh to make it less awkward. It wasn't the jokes that were getting to her, it was the dinner and everything about it - Jacob and Embry eating with her family, everything seeming normal when clearly it was never usually like this. She began feeling like she was the villain, making things not normal. 

"Hey, there's a good movie on tonight. You guys can stay and watch, we could make some popcorn." Her father asked, getting up taking some of the plates to the kitchen. 

Of course, Jacob agreed loudly, hopping up and running to grab the best spot on the couch. Her mother smiled at Embry and Gracie before taking the rest of the plates. She walked with Embry to the living room, staying quiet. 

"Your parents, they seem nice." He quietly said.

Gracie looked to him and planted a small smile on her face. "Yeah, sometimes.." 

His hand grabbed hers to stop her from walking, his big puppy brown eyes glaring at Gracie, almost worryingly. He kissed the girl gently, and quickly as they both didn't want anyone to spot it, especially Jacob who would have yelled a 'woohoo' at the top of his lungs. 

Her dad dropped the popcorn in Jacob's hands and left into the kitchen table with her mother to socialise whilst they watched their movie. As Jacob took prime position on the left hand side of the three seater, Embry sat in the middle whilst Gracie leaned onto him from the right side. She was particularly enjoying this. Normal. It was like a normal family, having Embry over and sometimes Jacob made her forget it was him and reminded her of Riley. But she knew this moment couldn't last forever, the world is constantly changing with time, and she always felt like there was never enough time. 

and just when things seemed to be becoming extraordinarily normal, that's when the world changed and time turned to make her life the exact opposite. 

...goodbye March, and hello April. 

2017© ; misstonii