18; each other

Star.

Staring at the ceiling in silence, I keep thinking about what had happened earlier

Staring at the ceiling in silence, I keep thinking about what had happened earlier. Not just about the plan, nor the Berserker, but the thing that happened with my hands.

Why were there fire?

I remember something that Severo said. About my kind having fire as an ability. I haven't think about it until now.

I raised my hand, and I look at it. I keep staring at it, then it happened, slowly. A small red-orange light was seen in the middle of my palm. I tried to keep focus, and the more the flames grew, the harder it got for me to concentrate.

What the heck..?

When the flames were about to cover my entire palm, my phone began ringing. My concerntration was gone and so are the flames. Frustrated, I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and looked at the screen. Liam's caller i.d was shown and I didn't have to think twice before answering it.

"Liam, why are you calling in the middle of the night?" I asked, staring at my empty hand.

"Look outside your window."

Confused, I stood up and walked towards the window. Standing outside was Liam, wearing a white tank top and grey sweatpants. He sheepishly smiled, ending our call.

"The heck, Liam." I muttered, opening my window as Liam started climbing the closest tree to my window.

Liam got through the window, dusting off his clothes. "Hi."

"Not to be mean or anything, but why did you come here in the middle of the night?" I asked him, crossing my arms across my chest.

Liam started scratching the back of his neck as he looked at me. "I was... I was kind of— how do I say this..."

"Spill before I kick you out." I joked, but kept on a serious face.

Liam sighed in defeat. "I'm having nightmares,"

Nightmares?

"About what?"

Looking down at the floor, Liam answered. "Berserkers."

I pursed my lips into a thin line to stop myself from smiling. I don't know whether it's because it's kind of amusing or because it was adorable.

Hold that thought... what?

"Oh... um," I chuckled. "You just beat up a Berserker earlier and now you're having nightmares about it?"

Liam nodded. "I don't know why, but I've been trying to sleep for the past couple of hours. I even asked Jade if I could sleep in her room, but she kept pushing me off when she's asleep."

I laughed a little, shaking my head.

"Well then, why are you here?" I asked.