Forgetting Sarah Baker - 2

Part-2 :-

 This one goes to a reader who has been sticking up for this book and is making me want to work hard. Thank you!

........................................................................................................................................................................................

We entered a busy street and there was no way Taylor could get away this time.

The cops came at us. They indiscreetly took him pushing and kicking him on the cop car. I, on the other hand ,was kindly asked to accompany him to the police station.

But as soon as I reached the car, they handcuffed me and pushed me in like I was a criminal.

Taylor didn't even seem to care as the car drove to the station.

I was sobbing the whole while.

It was irritating Taylor and he had told me to shut up more than once but I just kept crying how it was the last day of my life figuring my parents would kill me.They took us out of the car to the station and sent us separate ways at first. They wrote down a proper report about us and then locked us up in a cell.

The same cell because we were both getting charged for shoplifting and running away from the cops. Taylor Mason laid on the smelly little bench in the back chillin like a villain whereas I bawled my eyes out. I couldn't stop crying! I was only 16 and in prison so no, I wasn't sorry for crying my heart out if I was never getting out of there.

"Relax Baker. They're gonna let us make one phone call. You can call your parents and tell them to bail you out, easy as that." he suggested to me while I kept on with the waterworks.

"What am I going to tell them? 'Hey mom! Could you bail me out cause I'M IN PRISON!' "I sobbed out.

The officer who'd chased us down shook his head disapprovingly. Not you too, officer.

"Officer, please let me out. I didn't even know he was shoplifting! And I did put my hands in the air when you told me to. Just please let me out! It's all temporary bad influence!" I pleaded."Officer, he was the one who committed the crimes. Please, my parents are going to kill me!!" I begged stretching my hands out the bars and holding his hand which had his coffee.

I held onto it and refused to let it go, Taylor was doing nothing.

I looked like a tomato. My skin red and flushed up. No one was answering my cries for help and I had no option than to lie down, give myself a break and cry alone.

"Move." I softly whispered as tears rolled down my cheek. My voice was sour.

Taylor didn't get up or scoot over, so I jumped and lied on top of him. I kept on crying and Taylor just put his arms around and hugged me. It was his fault. The skipping school, the going to the mall, the stealing, the stuck in prison now. His entire fault. But as I lied on top of him with his arms around me I couldn't help but cry at the series of misfortunate events. I snuggled comfortably waiting for the cops to call us and allow us to call someone. I closed my eyes and let out a deep breath and let sleep consume me.

.................................................................................................................................................................................

Two hours later they told us we could make one call each. I was debating against calling my parents or someone else. After much pondering and Taylor's continuous patting on my back which was supposed to make me feel better but made me feel like I was his pet, I made the call.

Ring Ring

' C'mon, c'mon pick up!' I said in a non-audible voice.

C'mon. Don't bail on me now!

After 13 rings he picked up.

" Sarah?"

" Zack!" I was too happy to contain myself. Then the tears started flowing out.

"What happened? Are you alright?" his voice sounded concerned on the other side. Of course, he was worried.

"Zack." I weakly chocked the word out. "I'm in prison. Could you let me out? I really am in deep trouble." I said and kept crying. I was feeling an array of emotions. I had led Zack on and when it came to helping me in the time of my need, I was calling him up. Worst thing, he didn't say no and informed me that he would be there as quick as he could. Taylor called nobody. How did he get out of here then? If this was something he did on a daily basis, hanging out in prison.

He soothingly ran his hands on my back and tried to comfort me.

"Ummm..." he trailed. I stared at him with my red puffed-up overused eyes.

"You haven't done this before, have you? I asked softly as the waterworks showed their beauty.

Could I be more insistent on the fact that I was crying the whole time?

Taylor simply nodded and his eyes went in all directions except my face. We were guided into the cell and this time Taylor had been kind enough to sit down with me keeping my head on his shoulder for support.

We sat in silence letting time pass fly.

Taylor had one arm wrapped around me to stop my shivering.
I slept again on his shoulder while he kept rubbing my hand for comfort.