I Can't Amend

Chapter 19

Part 1

I can't amend
................................................................................................................................................................

Dave's P.O.V

The basement conversation was bound to happen. With one small bulb illuminating the entire underground hall, there were shadows of trees lurking in through the windows as the leaves played their frightful song on this stormy night. I was appalled, for the first time in my life, of what my dad had done. He was upstairs, drowsy when he came home, snoring his anger away for he had a big day tomorrow.

She had called and she was terrified. Chewing her nails and having her toes up curled, I watched her sob hysterically pouring out guilt. Her beautiful long hair lit up in the dark as the iota of the light in the room reflected on her hair. Her lips were swollen from the constant biting and her cheeks looked plumper. I could outline the path of water drops that had rolled down her cheeks. She-in short-looked miserable.

“ Sarah, I think we have an advantage over the cops.” I explained for the enith time.

“ What?” her voice sounded as if my words were incredulous. “ Dave, I don't know sh!t about the freaking law. This is not me watching prime time TV and acting smart, this is me Sarah Baker without any mentalist by my side who knows nothing about how to control this situation.”

Her guilt was drowning her ambition which I too aimed for: The freedom of Taylor Mason.

I listened to her rambling then continued, “ The police have no evidence. Remember? You did ask a cop working at that place.”

“ I am tired, Dave. I can't understand how they couldn't accept my confession?” She spoke with her face blank as if I wasn't in the room.

“ You're not going to give on him, are you?” I asked raspily as my throat was parched.

“ I can't.” She eased her shoulders, her hands were twitching and her eyelids were begging to be shut. Her stamina was withering with each passing second.

As far as I knew, she was in a deep rumble of the recital of her own thoughts. She wasn't eating, drinking or even talking normally. She was turning into the little boy from 'The Sixth Sense'!

“ Good because we are going to do some of our own 'Prison Break'.”

She laughed and her raspy voice echoed. She sneezed then scratched her red nose to rub off her itch and at that moment I admitted she was adorable and could notice why Taylor liked her. She, on the other hand, was too blind to see it.

“ You in?”

“ Need I say something?" She scoffed.

I grinned. “ You're in.” I placed myself on the wooden box beside her. Her open hair whipped back. Putting my arms around her shoulder I let her rest.

She fell asleep with a low body temperature, unperturbed by any noise of the nightly creatures in the dark.

……........................................................................................................................................................

Narration

It was a batch party by the most delirious, delusional person in school. The crowd cheered on as another girl stripped naked and the guys were having their tour de wh0re . Waves of romance swiped the sweat drenched bodies lavishing themselves with bothered kisses and crazy hook ups.

Hannah Jones was dressed as sin and Alec had to be a slave to her. With her lips blood red she had softly ribbed together to spread the shade, her tight dress which cut off her air supply and heels so high it looked like she had dressed up as the she-devil, she was ready to make heads turn.

“ Great party, Jones!” Allen King slurped as he fought to keep his balance. He was the hottest senior in school and an extreme fool for believing that he loved every girl he dated-for not even a week. “ And you look damn fine tonight. What say Jones? Wanna dig the future prom king?”

Hannah smiled vivaciously. He was too drunk to even remember his mom's name and she sure wouldn't like to toil with an unguarded screw-up when she had bigger plans for someone else.

“ Don't you know Allen? Hannah is out of the dating scene for a while.” Helen appeared out of nowhere. “Oops! I mean, she won't bounce back in the game for a whole season so there goes your wildest fantasy.” She laughed at her own joke then winked at Hannah as if doing her a favour.

“ Hi... Do I know you?” Hannah acted dumb then pretended to recollect. “ Yup, I don't, which means that you weren't invited to the party and are a party-crasher which is pretty low for your standards, judging you by your expensive make-up but a horrible dress.”

“ Uh-huh, okay Disney princess, let me tell you something that may sound shallow but here it is. I was throwing the 'it' parties even before you learnt how to read. I had a fountain of liquor even before you bought your first dress and my party hall was built by professional architects even before you had your own house, my parents had handed me over a BMW before you were enrolled in this school so... You don't invite me to a party and neither do I crash it. I am officially invited to any party that happens in this school or the city. You got it?” Helen raged out on Hannah.

Ouch! But Hannah was dressed as the devil that night and she didn't back down. She back-answered in a flash.

“ Helen, as soon as you're done with filling your stomach with this party's leftovers you could please make your way out through the back door. You see, my front door is for the normal people I invite to my parties, not the VIP's and hot girl- wannabes.”

Helen-1, Hannah- 1. It was a tie.

Helen pouted then brushed off the comment. She walked right into the kitchen to get herself a drink.

There was no way that creature was in without her queen. Adriana Parker had to be there somewhere.

Hannah shook her head. It didn't matter if there were two more glasses of alcohol gone from the tank, they were Dave's anyway.

Hannah's eyes scanned for Adriana. She- to no surprise- spotted her getting touchy with a guy. She smirked, then blushed and ran her fingers over his body but the guy was least interested.

Hannah took a few steps towards the unlikely pair to recognize the guy but then she spotted her target.

There he was. Dressed up casually with a checked unbuttoned shirt over a white t-shirt and faded jeans. His sunglasses hung on the deep cut of his shirt.

“ Wow! Hannah you look delicious.” Alec commented to himself.

Hannah pretended not to hear and smiled.

“ You came? Weren't you scared of what may happen?”

“ I wanted to see you and no, I wasn't scared. What possibly could happen at this party? We're both over each other so I'm guessing no fights.”