1

Emily's POV

A year has passed since that horrible night. I can still hear the sound of the car screeching across the road, trying to take control, but instead, it flips over five times or so. I remember the pain I felt on the inside of my thigh where a glass had dug into it, which is now a scar.

I remember looking beside me to see my mom staring back at me. Only she wasn't moving or blinking. 

I remember my heart breaking into tiny pieces as I cried out for her. 

I remember it like it was yesterday...

And it's all my fault.

"Honey." My dad stands at the frame of my door with a sad look on his face. He knows what day it is. How can he forget? How can any of us forget? That was the worst day of my life. I haven't been the same since. Neither has my dad. Even our relationship changed.

We are no longer close. We barely talk to each other. He goes to work, I go to school. He comes home, I leave to hang out with my best friends, Aria and Hanna. We can barely stay in the same room together for longer than ten minutes. 

It gets awkward after that. 

"Yeah, dad?" I take my earphones out of my ears so I can hear him without the music blaring. 

"I think I might go out tonight." This gets my attention.

"Like out on a date?" I furrow my eyebrows at him. Out of all days, why would he do that today? 

"I guess that's what it's called these days." I just look down at my hands, sad that he could even think about going out with someone when today is the anniversary of mom's death. "I need to move on, Emmy. I can't keep living like this. We can't keep living like this." He sits down beside me on my bed and pulls me into him. "We need to move on. It's what your mom would have wanted." I only nod my head and began to cry.

I don't want to move on. If I move on, then it will be as if I'm saying that it's okay that she's gone. And it's not okay. It will never be okay. I don't know if I can move on. 

"If you don't want me to then I won't." He says, but I immediately shake my head. 

"You need to. It's what mom what have wanted." I whisper, hugging him tighter. 

----

"So you're dad is actually on a date right now?" Aria asks with disbelief, her eyebrows raised.

"Has he gone mad?" Hanna shoots, crossing her arms over her chest. 

My two best friends came over the moment I sent them a group text about my dad. They know how much this can affect me. They have been here for me ever since she passed away. I don't know what I would do without them.

"Han." Aria gives her a look of warning. 

"Sorry." Han gives me an apologetic smile which I accept. "How are you feeling about all of this?" 

"I honestly don't know. But I can't exactly expect my dad to die alone." I reassure them but it was more for me. I need to be okay with this. I have to be. 

"We are here for you if you need us." Aria gives me a small smile and pulls me into her. I accept her embrace and hug her back.

"Group hug!" Hanna jumps onto the bed and knocks us both over, giving us both a hug. 

-----

Hanna and Aria both passed out at the foot of my bed while watching this movie that's not even really interesting. I don't even know the name of it, to be honest. I think Hanna picked it and she fell asleep ten minutes into it.

I would have gone to sleep as well but I wanted to wait up for my dad. I want to know how the date went. I actually hope it went well and not bad. He deserves to find someone that will make him happy. 

After turning the movie off, I walk downstairs and sit on the couch. He should be here soon. 

As if on cue, the door opens to reveal my dad who has a big smile on his face. Well, that's a good sign. 

"I take it the date went well?" I stand up from the couch whenever he looks over at me.

"It went great. She was amazing. Very kind and stunning." His smile grows even bigger which makes my heart fill with happiness. I haven't seen him smile like this since my mom was alive.

"That's great dad." I give him a hug which he returns. 

"It's late. You should get some sleep." He kisses my forehead before heading up to his room. 

I go to walk up the stairs but stop when I see the picture of me and my mom together. We were both covered in flour from our attempt of her teaching me how to cook. I smile at this as a tear falls down my cheek.

"Don't worry, mom. She will never be you." I whisper, my heart breaking a little. 

Just the start! Let me know what you think:) I kinda know where this story is going to go and how it's going to end. Feedback is appreciated:D Emily will be meeting Alison in the next chapter but not in the way you think;) See you in the next chapter!