33

4 months later...

Emily's POV

My eyes immediately open at the sound of screaming. I look around but I can only see darkness. Like I'm in some kind of bad dream. The hair rises on the back of my neck as I hear Alison scream again. "Ali!" I yell out, hoping she can hear me.

"Emily, help me!" I can hear Alison scream in a frantic voice.

"Ali!" I walk toward where I hear her voice, only to run into a wall. I nearly jumped ten feet in the air but I keep my ground. "Where are you?" I scream into the darkness. I turn around and head in another direction to make sure I don't run into the wall again.

"I need your help. They took her!" Her voice echoes as if she's in some kind of cellar. Who is they? Where am I? What happened? The last thing I remember is getting ready for bed. Katie was asleep in the other room and Ali was reading some book. That's all I remember.

I can't see anything but darkness. My hands stay in front of me to keep myself from running into something.

"No!"

"Ali!" I run. I run as fast as my feet carry me. I no longer hear Ali screaming out to me.

"Alison!" Before I can even go further, I bump right into something hard. My body falls backward onto the cold hard floor.

At first, I think I'm knocked out because I can't see anything. But then the lights come on and in front of me is Paige with a grin on her face. I immediately furrow my eyebrows when I see a gun in her hand.

"Paige?"

"Don't act so shocked, Emily." Paige grins as her eyes look me over. "You knew I had a crush on you in high school but yet you still didn't choose me. Tenth grade, I couldn't stop watching you in every class we had. You were like an angel sent from above. I have never seen someone so beautiful." She walks closer to me, swinging the gun around carelessly as she talks.

"Eleventh grade, you still never noticed me lurking in the shadows. Now when your mom died, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to get close to you. But no. Your friends were always there."

My mood instantly turns from afraid to angry. How can she speak so carelessly about my mom! I stand up and glare at her.

"Our senior year, I thought I was finally going to get you. After all the years I've been watching you, I couldn't believe it." Paige's smile then drops. "Then Alison shows up out of nowhere with her perfect self." Her hands tighten around the gun. "She just comes in and takes you away from me. I thought, how dare she."

"Paige-"

"How dare she take the one person that means everything to me away. So I had to come up with a plan to get you to be mine. Then it came to me. I needed to get rid of the one person you cared about most. Who might that be?" She pauses and then throws her hands up in the air. "Alison! It was always her. After graduation one month ago, I saw how happy you two were with Katie. You were the perfect family."

"You're insane!" I say, gritting my teeth.

"Then it all came together. I needed someone else to help me with my plan. Someone who wouldn't mind helping me cutting your ties with Alison. What better person than someone who loves Alison just as much as I love you?"

I stop to think about who it could be. Who loved Alison? It wasn't Caroline because she went back to Mystic Falls. My dad? No, that can't be right. He wouldn't do this to me. Would he?

"Spencer." I whisper. As if on cue, Spencer walks into the room. Well, it's more of a jail cell than anything.

"Not quite." Spencer's voice has changed to an English accent. "Lil' sista loves Toby way too much to even see how beautiful Ali really is." The girls shakes her head with a frown.