Chapter Sixteen

I'm sorry about how long my chapters are, guys. Once I start writing, I can't stop😂

Once Gabe and Jared left, Leah looked over at Lindsay, who was still staring at the door, her eyes not blinking. Leah didn't really know what to say; usually, it was Lindsay giving her advice, so she wouldn't know where to start.

In the end, she said nothing.

Leah awkwardly moved across the room and towards the sink. She figured she may as well start her cleaning instead of waisting time, and hopefully Lindsay would come round soon. Her and Gabe were going to be fine. She was just overthinking. It was probably because Lindsay hadn't been punished in a long time, and she's not use to Gabe ignoring her.

Usually she's a good, little wife.

Leah peered into the sink, and witnessed many dishes scattered inside it. She lifted a sponge and shuffled the plates around to find the knives and forks first.

Leah lifted a knife into her hand, and the scraping of metal broke the silence, causing Lindsay to wake up from her day dream as her ears pricked up. She shot her eyes over to Leah.

" Put that down," Lindsay demanded.

Leah jumped from the sound of her voice and turned to look at her, still clutching the knife between her small fingers. Lindsay's wide blue eyes glared at her.

" Why?" Leah furrowed her brows, her lips slightly parting. She honestly didn't know..

Lindsay went over to Leah and snatched the knife out her hand. She threw it back in the sink before facing Leah, crossing her arms before she spoke.

" Gabe told me you're not allowed to wash the dishes," Lindsay explained.

" I don't understand," Leah said defensively.

" Because of what happened last time."

Leah went red in the cheeks and for a moment, she didn't know what to say. She felt the same circle of embarrassment every time that incident was brought up. Every single time.

" Oh.." was all she was able to force out.

Lindsay watched her before giving her a saddened smile- Leah felt that was her attempt to show her she doesn't mean to be rude. Leah understood why Lindsay was acting the way she was; the woman had lost her son, and she was expected to just forget it.

Lindsay walked over to a door and pulled out a washing up bucket and a cloth. Leah just watched her fast movement. Lindsay then hurried back over to Leah and placed the cleaning materials in front of her feet.

" You can clean all the sides downstairs instead." Lindsay said. " I'm going to do the upstairs."

Leah couldn't remember the last time Lindsay had bothered to clean the upstairs, so she was confused why she'd decided now to do so. But she didn't want to question it in case she wound Lindsay up. She'd already had a rough night with Gabe.

" Okay," she simply said.

" I'll be down at three to start cooking dinner," Lindsay told her, and Leah just nodded. They didn't have a clock in the kitchen. Lindsay wore an old, worn out watch on her wrist, so that was the only way in which Leah would be able to know the time.

Lindsay and Leah exchanged smiles before Lindsay practically ran out of the room.

Leah just let out a huff of exhaustion. She'd had a hectic morning, and the day had just begun. But she felt it would be better to just start her cleaning and forget about everything.