Chapter Twenty

Once Lindsay was back down, the girls cooked dinner until the boys came inside. Leah's eyes shot towards the door as soon as it clicked to see if Jared was there, and he was. Him, Gabe and Taylor laughing as they walked straight over to the coat rack to hang up their jackets.

A few seconds later, Dylan came inside, and Leah watched as he slowly closed the door.

At first, Leah didn't pay much attention to what the strange, unordinary quiet man was doing there, but she noticed something from the corner of her beady eye.

Dylan didn't lock it.

Leah watched him, knowing he'd go back and bolt it shut with his key, but he didn't. He just removed his green coat and placed it beside the side of the door.

Leah blinked a few times, hoping she'd seen things. If any of the other boys knew Dylan hadn't locked the door properly, he'd be in trouble for sure- he was practically giving Leah and the other woman a ticket to freedom and a way to escape this place they called home.

Would Leah ever try and escape?

No.. she loved it here. She loved Jared. But that wasn't the point. The point was, Dylan didn't know how tamed she really was. He'd barely spoke to her at all. It was a big risk.

" Leah, would you grab these plates for me?" Leah didn't have time to dwell on this unfamiliar feeling that was being brewed in her lungs as Lindsay called her over, and she tore her enormous, blue eyes from the door,  scurrying over to the other two women.

She took the plates out of Lindsay's hand, whilst the men placed themselves at the table. The smell of gravy and freshly cooked meat filled her nostrils, and Leah heard her stomach gargle, begging for food to enter it. It was human, but disgustingly she'd learned to live with it. Taste it like it was the delicious piece of steak her mom would feed her when she was younger, so it was no longer a problem at all.
(Breaking)

When she placed them down in front of Dylan and Jared, she also took her own seat. Jared turned to her and smiled, hooking his arm around her waist.

" Hey," he said, shifting a little closer, and Leah felt that horrible pain that had been gnawing at her all day leave her body- the one that told her Jared was mad, and she'd be punished later for no reason.

" Hi," she tucked her hair behind her ear, and Emme placed the food in front of her. Leah thanked her, and Jared leaned in to kiss Leah quickly. She kissed him back before tucking into her food.

The family began having regular conversation, which Leah tried to get involved in at some points. Only, it was more than difficult, as her eyes kept getting drawn to the practically open door. She felt like she could see it opening; the handle lifting, providing fresh air for this entire house that constantly smelt metallic due to the amount of blood that had been shed right here. The body's that had been hung in this very kitchen off those dangerous hooks.

" So I gathered you're not pregnant yet, Leah." Surprisingly, Dylan commented, and Leah randomly flinched before trying to get out her thoughts and back in the room, rotating her eyes over to him at the end of the table.

Leah stared at him for a little while, and he rose his eyebrow, beckoning her to rely. This was a strange question that had became overly asked recently. Was it expected from her?

" No. No, not yet."

Dylan scoffed a little. " Right, I see."

" She will be soon," Jared assured them all in a way, and Taylor looked over at him,

He studied him before taking a mouthful of mash before he intervened. "Sometimes it doesn't happen first time," he explained, and Leah noticed Emme bow her head slightly- she looked as if she was messing with her feet under the table.