Chapter Thirty-Three

Hey guys! I know, it's been MONTHS since I last uploaded on here and so much has happened since I did so. My life's just been crazy at the minute, but as I'm self-isolating due to the corona virus, it gave me a chance to log on and see what's been going on. Hope use are all staying safe at this insane time.

Sorry it's not that long :(

" Are you okay?" Jared asked Leah, as they headed back down the stairs after taking brief looks at each room. He noticed she was panting slightly, and her eyes kept flicking across the little cracks on the walls.

Her blue eyes shifted quickly to his face, and she blinked several times before turning away from him in a nervous manner." Yes."

" You're breathing really loud," he pointed out.

Leah stopped on the second to last step on the stairs, and she looked right at him. " Can we please take a seat in the kitchen for a few moments? My feet are hurting."

Jared's eyebrows furrowed. " Why? Is something wrong? Is the baby okay?"

" Yeah, I mean, it's fine. I just need to sit down." Leah was lying. She needed Emme back here, and sitting down was the only way Leah could talk and Jared would listen.

Jared hooked his arm between hers and Leah almost gasped as he hurried her from the staircase, through the living and next to the kitchen counter. He pulled out a brown chair and placed her down in it. Her body remained frigid as he did so, as if she were an object.

" You relax there," Jared said sternly. " We don't want you stressing out the baby."

Leah pressed her fingernails into her palm and bit her lip at this comment. He was always making her feel like she'd never make a good enough mother. Every time he spoke these days her blood ran cold.

The room was engulfed in deafening silence for a few moments as Leah held back her irritation, and Jared tapped his dirty fingernails across the counter, waiting for Leah to recover. She looked over at him, boredom covering his expression, and she took this as her opportunity to shoot her shot.

" Maybe you should invite Emme and Taylor back inside for a cup of tea before we leave."

Jared tilted his head to look at her, and his dark brown eyes narrowed into two suspicious slits. " Why?"

Leah gulped, and she swore she heard it echo across the small kitchen. " We've been in here a while, and we don't know the next time we will see them again."

Jared moved his slump figure up his chair and sat up properly, clasping his big hands together. He contemplated it for a moment, his facial features widening with consideration, before they fell back morbidly onto his face. "I'm sure they'll be fine in the car."

" It was just a suggestion," Leah told him politely, the nerves twinging in the back of her throat, causing her voice to shake. " it'll be nice to have a tea with them before we leave."

" No," Jared said with a bit more force. " I don't want any commotion around the baby whilst you're feeling faint. Plus, you'll get a chance to speak to them on the way out."

Dammit

What he was saying didn't even make sense. Baby. Baby. Baby. That's all she ever heard from him. This is why she couldn't stand that his child was growing inside of her. She'd rather it be Derek's at this point.

Leah sunk into her seat slowly, disappointment clear on his face as she bowed her head. "Okay." She agreed quietly.

She knew there was no point arguing with him. It was a stupid idea to try and convince him otherwise. He was much smarter than her when it came to logic. He'd been trained to brainwash and manipulate people, not the other way round.

That same silence sprang upon the room again, and the only sound that was evident was the kitchen sink releasing small droplets of water from the tap, intensifying the rooms atmosphere.

Suddenly, there was a load scream from outside of the house, and both Leah and Jared's head jolted towards the door. Jared snapped his eyes towards Leah before he rushed to the kitchen window. Leah followed closely behind him with her body scrunched up as he opened the blinds and peered through the bars.

Emme was crying and hitting Taylor's arms as he wrapped them around her waist; he appeared panicked, trying to shush her quiet, but his coos fell on death ears.

" Shit," Jared swore under his breath before pulling his key from around his neck and yanking the door open with almighty power.

Leah went to race behind him and he swung back in her face; his nostrils flared as he pointed a crooked finger at her.

" Stay here."

Leah cowered underneath his intimidating stare, but the alert in her eyes and her body didn't dissolve as she turned to watch Emme act like a possessed woman right outside this abandoned farm.

" Stop it! Let go of me, come back!" Emme was still trying to shrug free when Jared marched towards them. " My husbands wrong! Wrong! I'm weak!"

" Hey! What's going on?" Jared said, and Taylor's head jolted towards him.

" Jared, there's two of them!" Taylor panted. "They ran up near the lake where there car was.They saw us."

Jared squinted his eyes, and felt the need to state the obvious. " What do you mean they saw us? Put Emme inside and we'll go and get them."

" That's the problem," Taylor's voice squeaked with an emotion Jared couldn't put his finger on. " They saw me and Emme arguing and took my plate number. They're gonna call someone, Jared, and I think they've drove away."

Leah's heart dropped as she heard this conversation through the glass between them; the police were going to be informed. Leah was scared all of a sudden; was this an Oscar performance from Emme? She'd planted the seed earlier on.

" I-I tried to scare them away but Emme was calling out to them. I wanted to chase them but I couldn't leave her here in this state and the door was locked." Taylor was sweating head to toe

These boys had never been in this position in there life. Leah for some reason dreaded to see what was going to happen next.

What had Emme done?