Chapter Twenty-Three

Leah was awoken by a sharp pain in her back, and she felt her heavy eyes begin to flutter open slowly. She stared at the ceiling for several seconds, until she felt a sting in her wrists and attempted to pull herself up, only to realise where that sting was coming from when she was pulled back down.

Leah was tied to the bed. She pulled her face, turning to face her right side- it was hard to see anything because she didn't have her glasses on. The more she tried to push herself up, the more her wounded back caught onto the material of her clothing and caused it to burn with agony. She winced as she threw herself back against the bed with a huff.

Leah allowed her eyes to fall back shut, until the creaking sound of the bathroom door opening caught her attention, and snapped them right back open. She attempted to look up, and caught a glimpse of the body moving towards her. She could tell by the rather large body build, and dark flat hair that it was Jared.

All of Leah's limbs tensed as he now stood by her bed side- he was bound to still be angry about what happened before. Wait, before? How long ago had she been here? What was the time?

Jared seemed to just be gazing down at her for a few moments; even without her glasses, she could witness the infuriated darkness that clouded over his eyes. She could feel the two sockets piercing holes into her skin, and she shuddered.

Soon enough, he leaned down, and the black frames were placed on the bridge of her nose. She blinked a few times to adjust them, and noticed that morbid expression on Jared's face.

For a few moments, he didn't say anything, and just stared at her. Leah felt uncomfortable and self-conscious, and moved her eyes towards the ground.

" Afternoon," he mumbled, walking away to the other side of the room.

Leah watched him through her lenses, but he wouldn't looked her way. He sat on the side of the bed, untying his shoe laces. " How long have you been in here?" She asked, knowing that he wasn't just using their bathroom.

" Long enough." Jared huffed.

Leah didn't speak another word for a few moments, and the tension was swaying round the room, spreading like wild fire. She didn't know what to say to him. Leah knew by now that this family never believed a word she said.

" Are you okay?" Leah asked.

She heard Jared grit his teeth, then untie his laces a little more faster and harsher. "Yes."

" Are you sure?" Leah was interviewing Jared, and he flung his shoe at the ground aggressively, clearly irritated by her questioning. She knew not to ask, but she did it anyway. He was sure she did it on purpose, because nobody was this dumb.

" G-, Leah, would you just stop talking!" Jared exploded in frustration, and Leah coiled away, sinking back into the bed that she was temporarily attached to.

There was silence for a few moments, until Jared let out a breath. He began rushing back over, and Leah thought he was going to hit her from the way he aggressively stomped across the ground, and she flinched as he reached out. She blushed when she realised he wasn't doing that at all, and she felt stupid. By the way Jared tutted at her, it seemed he thought she was stupid too.

He grabbed what Leah recognised was a plate containing food on it- there usual supper, and he sat down on the bed. He lifted the fork, and hammered it into the food. He went to to shovel meat into Leah's mouth when-

For some reason, she pulled her mouth away, and her face immediately paled. Leah noticed what she'd done the second she did it, and quickly turned back, seeing Jared eyes narrowed into two angry slits, and flung open her jaw so it hung low. She couldn't understand why she'd just done that; she'd been eating this food for god knows how long.