Chapter 16

Boom Clap by Charli XCX

●●●

Silence was an understatement during that hour.

Charlotte smiled after I told her what was on my mind. Our faces were just an inch away as I could see one tear streaming down from her eye. She even tried to wipe it out from her free hand.

"You're unfair," She replied as she tried to give me a smile, "You're so unfair, Acio." There was even a crack in her voice when she said those words.

I was taken aback with what she just said. Somehow, I felt ashamed. I felt... guilty.

Napayuko na lang ako.

"Since we were kids, I'm always willing to do anything for you, kahit hindi pa maganda trato mo 'nun sa 'kin. I was even happy kahit obviously na annoyed ka na sa presence ko, at least, I still got to talk to you."

Huminga naman ito ng malalim, "Acio, kahit hindi mo man sabihin sa 'kin, you love... Ava. It's the same love that I have for you and I know... you'll never give it to me - because I'm not going to be her."

"I'm sorry." All I could say. Maybe because she was right. Maybe I'm just denying the fact that I love Ava because I'm afraid of the consequences... because I'm always afraid I'm going to fail, I'm going to fail in making her mine. In which, until now, I don't know if it is still worth it.

I'm tired.

I'm tired of chasing her.

"Acio," Charlotte suddenly held both of my hands as she made me stare at her eyes, "I'm glad that you finally warm up to me and we became friends. I'm really so happy but please... don't use me. Don't use me for your own redemption. Please don't if you're not even going to save me too."

●●●

"You're doing good in our class now, Mr. Rivera. All of the engineering faculty are impressed with the results of all your quizzes and exams."

"Thank you, Sir." I thanked our professor after he gave me the result of our test. Ako na naman daw kasi iyong naghighest sa room namin. To be honest, I feel proud for it.

Pagkatapos naman namin nakuha lahat ng results ng test ay dinimiss na kaagad kami. Lumabas na ako sa classroom at nagsimula nang maglakad. It was then a second later when I heard my phone ringing. It was Anjo calling me.

"Jo." I started as I walked calmly while the other students I would pass by keep staring at me.

"Are you watching the competition later?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, didn't get what he meant, "What?"

"Cheerdance competition nina Charlotte. She invited us to watch before, remember?"

"Ahh...."

It has been more than a week since Charlotte and I talked. She's been avoiding me again and I couldn't blame her because I'm fucked up person. I always fuck things up and I ended up hurting her again.