Chapter 24

8 letters by Why Don't We

●●●

Tahimik lang siya matapos kong sabihin sa kanya ang lahat. Both of us are currently inside my car. I told her everything about Ava. I told her about Ava's complicated life and our complicated relationship. I told her honestly about us.

Napansin ko naman ang pagtulo ng luha niya. She immediately wiped it by her hand.  I felt my heart tightened when I saw her tears. But I need to do this. I need to tell her everything and be honest.

I need her help because I know she's the only one who's going to save us.

"You really love her, don't you?"

Napatigil naman ako dahil sa sinabi niya. Charlotte was now looking at me and smiled bitterly. Her eyes were still watery. She was hurt. She was in pain.

"Charlotte--"

"Kung hindi mo siya mahal, you wouldn't beg to me and ask for my help, Acio," Umiwas na ito ng tingin sa 'kin at napatingin na sa harap, "I sometimes wonder what you told me before was real... that you somehow... maybe love me. But no, kasi kahit anong anggulo tignan, siya pa rin talaga."

Natahimik naman ako matapos ang sinabi niya. I looked down. I felt guilty.

Alam kong nasasaktan na naman siya dahil sa akin.

"It's unfair, you know? Kasi ako lagi ang nandito para sayo... I'm always the one who's willing to catch you whenever you fall. Okay lang sa 'kin kasi umaasa akong balang araw you'll look into my eyes the same way as you look into hers."

"But it'll never happen because I'm never going to be her. You're never going to love me like the way you feel for her." Napaangat naman ang ulo ko at muli siyang tinignan. Nakangiti lang siya sa 'kin pero hindi iyon abot sa mga tenga niya.

"You're always hurting me, Acio. Maybe because it's true what they think of you, you're really a devil."

"I-I'm so sorry..." The words I could only utter. During that hour, my conscience was eating me up again.

There was silence again. I heard Ava soft sobs. My heart constricted because of it. I never wanted to hurt her... But I need to do this... We need to save her.

"This is going to be the last, Acio," She suddenly said, trying to stop her sobs, "I'll help you but after that... I don't want to see you anymore."

●●●

"Hindi ka ba napapagod, Fourth?"

I just stared at her with her sudden question. Kaming dalawa lang ang nasa loob ng room niya sa ospital sa mga oras na iyon. Two weeks na siyang nandito sa ospital at hanggang ngayon ay hindi ko pa rin alam kung ano ang sakit niya.