Chapter 1: The Alpha's Death

"Lady Zara, he has arrived." Trisha stood in the doorway with a worried expression.

I stopped dead in my tracks. I knew the news wasn't good.  A pit in my stomach felt like it was forming a black hole that I could feel myself getting sucked into. Something terrible happened, I knew it. I was fumbling with my fingers as I noticed my hands had begun shaking at some point in time. I exhaled deeply before facing my Omega directly. She had deep blue eyes and long, curly blonde hair. She was slim and a few inches taller than me. 

"Thank you, Trisha," my voice shook. Before exiting my room I turned to Trisha, "please join me?"

She gave me a small nod of agreement and we walked down the dimly lit hall together in silence. The walls held an off-white color with the floor a mixture of pale gray and white marble.  We went down a set of stairs, that led to the first floor of the palace.

As we came upon two giant doors, I pulled open one heavy side and we entered the room. The room had a ton of space with a dome-shaped ceiling. In the center laid a smooth and intricate marble table that was long enough to seat a hundred people. My pack's Beta awaited me along with five other men, still and unmoving as if carved out of stone. 

"Lady Zara." Beta Helmut greeted me as I walked over to him.

"Beta Helmut," I vaguely nodded, "anything?"

Helmut shifted his weight a little with unease and took a deep inhale before saying anything.

"Lady Zara, we did find something from our search... " he paused looking around warily. "Your father, Alpha Denver, died in the war against the Crescent Moon Pack. We found his body among the hundreds of others who also died in the war."

As his words registered into my mind, my heart dropped to my stomach. Even though Helmut's voice was gentle he showed no emotions, not even a sliver. He was taught at a young age to mask his emotions, just like my father taught me to never show a weakness.

I couldn't hold back the emotions this time though. It was too much. My heart felt like it was cracking into a million pieces, literally aching in pain. A knot in my stomach made me want to vomit as it kept twisting more and more as the room around started to spin. My head feeling heavy and fuzzy as  I stumbled slightly to keep my balance.

"Here, Lady Zara." Helmut grabbed a chair and sat it by me. Gently gripping my elbows to help me sit down.

Trying to gain control of my emotions. I glanced at Helmut, he still held no expression, not even his eyes held a gleam of remorse. Something about it made my blood boil. I studied the other five men who all held concerned looks on their faces.

"Why do you not show emotions!" I got up angrily, shoving him backward. He looked shocked.

"Lady Zara, I admired your father. You know that right?"

"Then show it!" I hit his chest with closed fists viciously. I didn't know why it made me so angry, I just knew I couldn't control the emotions. Hot tears began streaming down my face as my knees collapsed from under me. I sat on the floor sobbing, holding onto my dress tightly with my sweaty hands.

"I am sorry for your lost, truly." Helmut kneeled down beside me looking concerned, placing his hand gently on my shoulder.

The other men and Trisha held bewildered expressions like they just saw a ghost. Deep down I knew they probably thought I was a disgrace for this behavior, but I didn't care. I lost my father. The last of my family.