Chapter 11: Trials With a Missing Devil

I walked out into the ring, dust leaving a trail behind me as my sapphire blue dress dragged behind me. Every member of the pack was watching me intently as I was followed in by two wolves who have turned cunning and resilient over the past week and a half. Their muscle mass has grown tremendously from their training.

"We gather here today, to test these two wolves. These tests will determine if they are suitable to be my Beta and my third in power," my voice boomed over the silent crowd. Elvan walked out towards me, bowed in greeting, and stood beside me, looking out at the crowd.

"Before we start, I have one more announcement to make," I paused, watching every reaction and posture of my pack members. "Troy, blonde hair and a small guy, anyone knows where he is?" I demanded. Not a single soul made a noise. I let the idea sink in for a minute, allowing them to figure out who Troy was. Jack and I had searched everywhere yesterday with the guards to find Troy, but it was like he didn't exist.

"Mark my words, I will make sure anyone associated with Troy who does not speak up, will pay the price," I growled loudly, making my pack flinch. No one moved for a minute until someone shuffling to the front of the ring caught my eye. A scraggly, blonde hair, boy. He looked gaunt like he hasn't eaten in days.

"I-I know Troy, Luna.." he stuttered as his body trembled in fear. He couldn't be more than fourteen years old. "He's my brother," he finished, his gaze glued to the ground.

"Excellent, thank you for stepping up," I said assertively. "Where is he?" I demanded, not softening my tone despite his age.

"H-he said he would kill me, I-if I told a-anyone," he stumbled over his words in fear.

"Do you think I would offer you a different fate," I snapped, his eyes grew wide. As much as I felt remorse for the boy, I had to do what was necessary, Troy must be found.

"N-no," he mumbled under his breath, "he's at..." he paused and shuffled nervously, "another pack," he finished.

"Why?" I demanded, narrowing my eyes on the boy as he trembled.

"He said his ally went missing, so he had to go into hiding," the boy rushed.

"What pack?" I growled.

"H-he didn't say, I swear!" The boy fell to his knees and burst out into tears. I nodded to one of the guards at the edge of the ring who walked over swiftly.

"Yes, Luna?" The guard asked.

"Take him down to the cells, he's not be harmed," I said quietly, the guard nodded and pulled the boy up by his arm.

"I s-swear, I don't know!" The boy cried out, fearing that he was going to his death. The guard dragged him away as he cried and pleaded for mercy. My pack was dead silent as they watched the boy be taken away in fear of his life.

"Let us begin," I said loud and clearly, returning to the reason we were gathered here today. Everyone knew the tests ahead, the wolves must duel some of our best warriors, and then lead groups of the pack on a hunt and work well enough to take down a full grown moose. We had herds of moose around here.

"Warriors, step forward please," Elvan demanded. Six of our best warriors stepped out from the crowd, all muscular and tall, with keen eyes. They had no shame as they stripped off their clothes and shifted into their wolves. Elvan and I remained in the middle as Trisha went to one side of the ring and Jack to the other side, each had three warriors circling them.

"You all know the rules, it can be bloody, but nobody does severe damage or kills," I growled, "begin." The ring instantly filled with growls and snarls. The pack watching intensely and unsure on which fight to focus on. The winners are the last ones standing, Trisha and Jack could not get exhausted before the warriors.