Chapter 17: Crescent Moon

Listening to Zoo by Jetta (Single)  and Lovely by Billie Eilish (Khalid) while writing this (:

[Alpha Helsin's Point of View]

Luna Zara stood in front of me, her facial expression was blank. I kept my kneeling position, not daring to move until she said something. My knee began to ache from the hard surface against bone, but I didn't care. It felt as though time had frozen everything in the room. The tension in the room felt suffocating like oxygen was being pulled out by the second. I couldn't bear the silence anymore.

"Luna Zara, I pro-"

"Stop speaking." Luna Zara cut me off, anger seethed in her voice even though she kept her facial expression blank. Her dark grey gaze locked with my eyes so intensely, I felt paralyzed. I couldn't even imagine what emotions she felt from the news.

"Luna Zara?" Jack calmly walked up beside her. He was a good Beta, always on her side, always there when she needed him. I could only hope to be able to support her in those ways one day. The other night, I wanted to accept her rejection. After some thought, I knew I had to fight for her. She was the type of woman to be fought for. She held the composure of a Queen.

"Everyone, please continue the dance," she said sternly and turned on her heels to walk out of the ball dance room. I watched her go. Each step she took was pure beauty and confidence as her hips swayed side to side. Her body was a perfect hourglass shape with her long dark hair falling to her lower back.

"Please, continue your night," I said to everyone as I stumbled onto my feet. Small chatter began to ripple throughout the room. The environment immediately became less tense and I felt I could breathe again. I hurriedly walked out to find Luna Zara, following her sweet scent. She smelled like Ylang Ylang to me, but part of me wondered if it was because she was my mate or if she bathed herself in those flowers.

"Luna Zara," I spotted her outside the balcony on the second floor. Her hands resting on the edge of the golden rails while she gazed up towards the moon. The silver gleam reflected off her tan-tone skin. Slowly, I walked up behind her as she remained silent. "Are you okay?"

"Explain to me how my father is dead?" She replied, leaving no hint of expression in her voice. I couldn't understand how she remained so collected after such news. Even I couldn't be that strong. Her self-control moved me while at the same time it intrigued me.

"We were fighting and battling in the fields of Serka. It was bloody and furious, but I never saw your father. I never saw any alpha there." I paused, sucking in my breath. "The war ended because your people started retreating, which I thought was odd because the battle didn't last as long as expected and I never saw Alpha Denver."

"How could that be?"

"I am not sure. I do have a suspicion that whoever is trying to kill you was behind what happened to your father..." I trailed off. I was trying to choose my words carefully, I wanted a chance not her rejecting me once again.

"How do you know someone's trying to kill me?" She turned her intense gaze to me. It almost felt like her eyes were piercing through my soul so much that it could be a truth serum. How does one god damn person affect me so much?

"You said it when you killed those two people from your pack," I attempted to cover up my knowledge of working with the people behind her attempt of death. If she knew then she defiantly would reject me again.

"No. I punished them for attempting to plot to kill me." She growled lowly taking a step towards me, her hot breath hitting my face. "You want a chance, Alpha Helsin, then start by being honest." Her words hit me, my heart slammed against my chest at the notion that I was caught not telling the whole truth. I was already messing this up. She was always a step ahead and I have never met someone so careful and smart.