Chapter 16: One Dance

"That was quite a show, Luna," Trisha sat on the bed waiting for me to put on my black heels, that laced around my ankles.

"I had to make sure no one thought this pack has become vulnerable, in any way."

"I know, I just didn't expect it," she looked at me concerned. "You said you think Alpha Helsin is on the plot to kill you? Do you think he still is after knowing you're his mate?"

"I know he is. I rejected him, Trisha." I stood up, feeling accomplished that I had gotten my heels on. It was a long day and I had a feeling it would be a long night.

"I'm sorry Luna, Zara. I can't even imagine what you must feel," she replied sympathetically.

"It doesn't matter what I feel, it only matters that I lead and protect this pack. Shall we go?"

"Of course, Luna," she immediately jumped up and we headed out to the ballroom.

The ballroom was pretty empty when we arrived. We were early to make sure everything was in order. There was the dance floor, lit gracefully with chandeliers with violinists awaiting for guests to arrive. Tables outlined the dance floor, some empty for guests to seat and others had food and beverages offered. We lived in a new age, but we still held tradition from the old days.

"Don't you remember when we use to sneak out of here to go to the city? When we thought dance clubs were fun and this ball dance was boring?" Trisha remarked with a grin, remembering the old days when we rebelled against the traditions.  My father always said we were trouble.

"Those were good times," I smiled, my thoughts far off. I grabbed some Moose meat from one of the dishes out on the table, the meat tasted gamey with fresh herbs. I hadn't eaten all day, I realized as I savored the food.

"I think these dances are more romantic though," Trisha continued as she got herself a glass of red wine.

"I agree, people are all about lust at the nightclub and the creepy vampires, yuck."

"What's yuck?" Jack came up to join us, curious about our conversation.

"You're yuck," Trisha teased him, giggling. Jack's cheeks turned pink, she made him blush as he stood there taken back by her comment.

"Luna, Zara," Luis came up to me calmly, his icy blue eyes sent chills down my spine. The guy always put me on edge, making my hair stand on end.

"Luis."

"Is everything to your liking?" He asked, gesturing to the ballroom set up. I noticed Annabelle was walking back in with deserts to set up at the next table to the dinner food. 

"It is, Luis. You, Annabelle, and Trisha did a wonderful job, I appreciate it," I smiled.

"Thank you, Luna. Is there anything else I can do for you?" I was surprised by how respectful Luis was being, he usually hated to acknowledge me.

"That is all Luis. Please enjoy yourself," I replied. He bowed and wandered off to Annabelle.

"He seemed to have gotten much nicer," Trisha commented.

"I agree," I couldn't help but find it suspicious. However, everything was making me paranoid right now. I set my food on an empty table and sat down.

The rest of the musicians had arrived and people were slowly trickling in. The ball dance didn't have any announcements, people arrived after a certain time and simply enjoyed themselves. The purpose mostly was to be a good host and to have mates find each other. What pack they chose to side with was up to them, but most preferred staying in the stronger pack of the two.