Chapter 18: Pups

[Zara's Point of View]

A knock at the door interrupted my thoughts as I stared out my bedroom window over the trees that covered the yellow and brown leaves of the fall season.

"Come in" I already could tell it was Trisha by the way she knocked. She stepped in looking glamorous in a sapphire blue dress that contrasted with her blonde hair and pale skin.

"Luna Zara. The pups are waiting for us."

"I am ready." I followed her out.

There were certain days of the week I would go play and babysit the pups of our pack and Trisha always helped me. My pack was family. Often we looked after the pups so parents can get together and enjoy themselves while relaxing and getting a break from the pups. On other occasions, I or someone else would babysit while everyone went hunting. Today's meetings with the pack won't start until later in the day, so I had plenty of time.

"Luna Zara, did you sleep well?" Alpha Helsin asked as I stepped out of the room.

He looked tired, dark circles underneath his emerald eyes. I felt bad that he stayed up all night 'protecting' my doors. Something about him made me trust him, his words.

"Alpha Helsin, I did. You should get some rest, I will be out for the day."

"Do you mind if I come with?" He had a look of determination and hope that gleamed in his eyes. It almost made me adore the effort he was trying to put in.

"Suit yourself," I turned on my heels and headed out of the palace.

---

"Luna Zara!" All the children were running up to me from the little field that was placed in the center of all buildings. They jumped up and hugged me, already excited to see me.

"Can we shift Luna?" A small boy pleaded, tugging on hand. His big brown eyes becoming glossy as he puckered his lips into a frown.

"Of course, but everyone stays in sight," I gave a soft smile. The boy immediately had the biggest grin on his face as he jumped up and down in joy.

"Will you shift with us?" A young brunette girl asked, her icy blue eyes huge with hope.

"Ever since when do I stay here and just watch you goofballs run around?" I joked, gently nudging her. She giggled as her brown curls bounced.

They all started shifting into their wolf forms. Some took their clothes off and others didn't give a damn. Of course, their parents probably did since they would have to buy new clothes. Even pups tore their clothes when they shifted.

Trisha had already shifted as her white and grey wolf greeted the pups. She was of artic origin, which was why she had such light-colored fur. Her fur contrasted with most of the pups darker grey shades and occasional brown or red colors. Our pack consisted of mostly grey colored wolves. Colors depended on the region, just like wild wolves. Which is why we never had nor will we probably ever have a fully white wolf. We would need two arctic wolves for that.

"May I join? I never had this opportunity in my pack." Alpha Helsin asked, cutting off my thoughts.

I was unsure if I trusted him enough for him to be around the pups. Alphas usually didn't target the young though, unless they were just outright cruel or felt threatened by the offspring for reproductive reasons.

"I suppose, but if you so much as hurt one hair on those pups," I paused, staring at him hard. "I will end you."

"Deal."

I got up to go to the shifting area, taking off the turquoise dress I wore. Inhaling deeply as I focused on becoming my wolf, connecting with myself on a deeper level. Bones cracked and reformed themselves until I was in my wolf figure. It was done just as quickly as it started.

I trotted up to the pups as I noticed Alpha Helsin was already there laying down on the ground. The pups were jumping all over him, nipping his dark grey ears, and tugging on his tail. Like he was their personal chew toy. Alpha Helsin remained calm, not at all bothered by the pups. If I thought I knew Alpha Helsin, I would even say humor gleamed in eyes.

Alpha Helsin had a beautiful wolf. His face white surrounded by light and dark gray patterns. His coat continued the different shades of light and dark grey mixed together. His back tended to be a really dark grey, almost black. I trotted up to him and the pups. Noticing Trisha kept a few of them entertained herself.

The pups jumped up on me licking my face. I licked their faces in return. They were cutest furballs I have ever seen. Moving through the massive parade of pups I found myself gazing into Alpha Helsin's emerald green eyes. They made me feel like electricity was shooting through me, without the pain. I leaned in, touching my nose to his.

Yip! I jumped back. He shocked me! I shook my fur out while noticing he had the most amused expression. I turned around and began trotting around with the pups chasing me. We loved to play together and run around. They always tried nipping at my ears or tail. I would nudge them with my snout playfully.

I heard footsteps running behind me as Alpha Helsin ran up beside me, rubbing his face then body against my side. It was something wolves did with their pack members, showing affection. I couldn't help but notice how warm his body was, the heat instantly radiating into me. I got tingling feelings from his touch. He licked my face and gently tugged my ear while wagging his tail.

I gave a small growl nudging the pups towards Trisha. They ran over to her excitedly. Wagging my tail, I ran off with Alpha Helsin on my heels. He sped up to be beside me and rubbed against while we ran and nipped at each other's ears. Nuzzling each other in the face. Bumping are hips playfully and eventually, I tackled him to the ground. We rolled around in the dirt growling and nipping at each other.

I heard a threatening growl behind us, making me jump to my feet in seconds. Alpha Helsin rolled onto his stomach with dirt stuck to his fur. He had an annoyed expression. In front of me stood the reddest wolf I have ever seen. She was beautiful with her hazel eyes complimenting her color well. I could smell it was Selena. Of course.

She stood there tensed up, her fur rose on her back to make her look bigger. More intimidating. It didn't fool me though. I pinned my ears back aggressively staring at her hard. Snarling and baring my teeth at her. She backed up a few steps, lowering her head slightly in submission, with her tail starting to curl between her legs. I took a few steps closer to her, growling loudly and snapping my jaws. Her head lowered even more as she whined. Alpha Helsin got up and nudged my side. Giving her one last growl I stalked over to my pups and Trisha.

I heard some growling, some whining. Then saw Selena running off while Alpha Helsin walked over to us. He laid down, panting. One of the pups got a little too rambunctious and pounced onto Alpha Helsin's face then biting down his tongue that hanging out of his mouth. My heart leaped, I jumped over in seconds thinking Alpha Helsin might react without thinking. Alpha Helsin just whined until I grabbed the pups scruff between my teeth. Lifting the little grey furball who instantly curled up, tucking his tail between his legs. I set him down between my paws and gave him a small growl. A warning.

I was quiet impressed with Alpha Helsin's temper. He was beyond calm and well collected around the pups. After a few minutes, I licked the pup and nudged him towards the other pups. His time out was finished. 

I got up, shaking my fur out again. I trotted to go shift and put on my dress. Afterward, I walked out to see Alpha Helsin waiting for me. He was already dressed and ready to go. I glanced at Trisha who was still playing with the pups.

"May I walk you to the meeting?" Alpha Helsin gave out his arm for me to take. Despite my paranoia, I decided to let him. I didn't want to regret losing him just because everything made me paranoid nowadays.

"You may. Alpha Helsin." I put my arm in his, feeling the tingling sensations and the heat radiating into my body like flames. The feeling was euphoric.