Chapter 14: Silent Tears

"He's my mate, and I rejected him," I said as hot tears ran down my cheeks. I was staring out the window in my room, watching the wind sway the trees.

"I am so sorry, that sounds terrible Luna..." Trisha trailed off, she stood behind me worried.

"I just... I had plans, a dream. One day, when I met my mate, everything would be perfect. He would bring out the best in me as I would bring out the best in him. We would rule side by side as equals," my tears fell silently, as I daydreamed what I wanted my future mate to be like.

"Nothing is perfect, Luna. Not even our mates, but I do understand why it would never work with him," she came around to stand next to me, staring at the window as I was.

"What do I do?" I whispered.

"What can you do?"

"Lead my pack, even if I am alone for the rest of my life," I sighed, "I would never have a child to take over my position though, I will not have sex with someone I don't love."

"Maybe by then, it would be time for new blood to lead," Trisha shrugged.

"Yeah maybe."

I went into the bathroom to put on some makeup. Trying to cover up the fact that had been crying.

"Luna, I am going to make sure everything is set for the gathering at noon and the ball dance tonight, will you be okay?" Trisha asked, standing by the bathroom door.

"Of course I will be okay, go make sure everything's ready." I smiled warmly, "I have to go attend the morning meeting anyways." She gave me a quick hug before turning and leaving. She was the one person helping me stay put together right now. I felt like I could break at any moment, I never felt so fragile in my life. I hated the feeling, it made me feel weak and vulnerable.

I quickly finished making sure I looked professional. Leaving the comfort of my room to go to the meeting. I deeply inhaled and exhaled before opening the doors to the meeting room and walking in. All attention was immediately centered on me, every Alpha in the room watching me intensely. My stomach tightened from being nervous, and as soon as my eyes met the beautiful emerald green eyes, my breath caught in my throat and my stomach flipped.

I broke the stare between me and Alpha Helsin, to stare at the wall behind most of the Alphas. I walked up to the silent table as I heard Jack come in and immediately he stood by side.

"Goodmorning, Luna," Jack greeted me with a nod.

"Goodmorning, Beta Jack Izle," I smiled. Pleased that he broke the intense silence. All the Alphas started to talking and reviewing over documents. I listened intently until I found myself spacing off in my own thoughts. Probably an hour went by, and I could constantly feel Alpha Helsin's stare. Doesn't the man ever look away? Jesus.

"Luna Zara," an Alpha acknowledged me.

"Yes, Alpha Adrik," I replied coolly, meeting his blue eyes.

"The Glacier pack wants an alliance with the Solstice pack."

"Why?" I prodded, noticing that the chatter among the other Alphas stopped to listen. Why was it so intriguing to them to watch me, I had no clue. It was as if I was something foreign that they wanted to observe, like a scientist finding a new species.

"We have made this proposal several times, Alpha Denver never accepted because he was pleased with the Solstice pack's strength and numbers. He thought the strongest pack didn't need an ally, but we all know everyone does."

"I am aware, but unless you don't give me a reason why you want the alliance, I will not consider it," my voice assertive. Alpha Adriks posture stiffened as he was lost for words for a minute.