Chapter 39 - The Legend of Dratini

"We're here!" Ash shouted as we walked reached to the Safari Zone. "I can't wait to see what Pokémon are around," I said with a smile. "Pika!" my Pikachu agreed, sitting on my shoulder. "I can't wait to catch some Pokémon," Misty said. "What are we waiting for?!" Ash asked with a grin, "Let's go."

"Quiet!" a male voice shouted and we froze before quickly looking to a nearby building to see an older man there, looking at us in annoyance. "Hey, what's going on?" Ash asked. The man didn't answer and instead held a gun, "You want to be shot?"

We froze and backed away. "We're sorry," Misty said, "We apologize, so don't shoot." The man lowered his gun, "I'll forgive just one time. My name is Erick, the Safari Zone warden." I cleared my throat, "My name is Emma. This is Ash, Brock and Misty."

"Let me guess, you came to capture Pokémon," Erick said. "Yes, sir," Ash said. "Very well, come inside," Erick said and walked back into the building. My friends and I exchanged a quick look before walking into the building.

The room looked like a small lobby, with a couch near the window, where we put our bags on while we waited for Erick as he was looking into a locker behind the counter.

Erick turned to face us and put down a basket of Safari Balls and four fishing rods. "I'll say this right at the beginning," Erick started, "These Safari Balls and these fishing rods are all you can use in the Safari Zone. If you disobey the rules, my 'Thunderbolt' will fire."

"Thunderbolt?" Ash asked. Erick held his gun up and we froze. "Got it," Ash said. Misty gasped behind me and the boys and we looked over at her in confusion. She was staring at a picture on the wall near the couch, "Isn't this a Dratini?"

She pulled the picture from the wall and we walked closer. "Let me see," I said and she handed it to me. There was indeed a Dratini in the picture, along with a young man kneeling next to it as they posed for the picture.

Dratini is a serpentine Pokémon with a blue body and a white underside. It has white, three-pronged fins on the sides of its head and a white bump on its forehead. Above its round, white snout are oval, purple eyes.

"It's so cute," I said. "Isn't it Erick?" Ash asked. "He looks so young," Misty said. "I've heard rumors that there are Dratini here in the Safari Zone," Brock said, "I guess they were true, then." The picture suddenly was snatched from my hands and we looked over at Erick to see him holding the picture tightly in his arms, "No! There aren't any Dratini!"

"Hey, but it's in the picture," Ash said in confusion. Erick gave him a look, reaching for his gun. "We get it!" Ash said as we stepped back, "I understand completely." Erick gave us all one last look before turning around and walking into a room, closing the door behind him.

"Why does he get so defensive?" Misty asked. "He seems to have his reasons," Brock said. "Guess so," I agreed. "Let's call Professor Oak, maybe he knows something," Ash said and we walked closer to the phone. Ash dial the number and we waited for the professor to answer. A moment after, he shoved up on the screen, "Hello?"

"Hey, professor," I said. "Oh! Hello! How are you kids been? You haven't called me in a while, I was starting to get worried," he said. "Nah, we all okay," Ash said, "And guess what? I won another badge."

"That's terrific!" the professor said, "Well done, Ash. I was told you, Misty and Brock have meet Emma's parents, make sure to let Alex know about this, he will be happy to hear you won another."

"Will do, professor," Ash said. "Hey, Professor, we wanted to ask you something," I said. "Of course," he said. "We just got to the Safari Zone, and we met the warden, Erick... do you know him by any chance?" I asked.