Chapter 68 - All Fired Up!

Earlier in the morning, the kids reached to Indigo Plateau. Ash grinned, "I can't wait," he said. They saw a big crowd on the side of the street, waiting. "What's going on?" he asked.

"There he is!"

They looked over to see a Torch Bearer running down the street with a Hitmonchan by his side and Officer Jenny driving not far from behind him.

Brock smiled, "It's the Torch," he said. "The Torch?" Ash repeated. "They use it to light the flam that burns during the all Pokémon League competition," Misty explained. "The flam supposed to inspire all trainers and Pokémon who compete in the Pokémon League," Brock added, "Been one of the Torch Bearer is a huge honor."

"Hey I remember Danny told me that there's a legend that the flams come from ancient time, from the flames of Moltres," Emma said. "What's a Moltres?" Ash asked as he pulled out his Dexter.

Moltres, a Legendary Pokémon. Its virtues symbolize the Pokémon League competitions.

Ash looked toward the torch and smiled, "If that flam is really the flams of Moltres, then it's more than just a legend. Moltres has to be real," he said. Emma raised an eyebrow, "And you want to catch one, huh?"

"Yeah, I'll catch one and train it, just like--" Ash started. "Just like you trained Charizard?" Misty asked. Ash looked annoyed and looked at her. "What?" the redhead girl asked, "Just pointing out."

Ash looked at the Torch, "First I'm gonna ask to carry that Torch." He started to run forward as his Pikachu jumped to sit on Emma's left shoulder and the girl sighed, "Oh boy," she muttered before walking closer with her friends.

They reached in time when Ash stopped the runner and asked him if he could carry the Torch too. Officer Jenny stepped in, "Only approved competitors are allowed to carry that flam."

"Oh, but I am a competitor," Ash said and pulled out his case to show his badges. "The rules is, you have to be approved," Officer Jenny said.

"Well, I say we'll bend the rule and give the lad a chance."

They looked at the van to see an old man on top of it. "President Goodshow?" Officer Jenny asked in surprise. "Who's he?" Ash asked. "The President of the Pokémon League Torch Committee," Emma whispered. "Oh," he muttered.

"This kid has some spirit, and this is all what it's about," Goodshow said and climbed down. He placed his hand on Ash's shoulder, "We could use a spiritual young man like yourself to help deliver this noble flame to the Indigo Stadium. What do you say?" Ash smiled, "It will be an honor."

...................

Emma stood with Misty and Brock at the side of the street, watching as the previous Torch Bearer transfers the flame onto Ash's unlit torch. Ash smiled and glanced over at his Pikachu who was sitting on his shoulder. "Pika," the male mouse said.

"Good luck," Emma called. "Off you go then," Goodshow said. Ash nodded, "Okay." The crowd started to cheer as Ash and Pikachu started to ran down the street.

Emma and her two friends climbed on Goodshow's van and they drove after Ash with Officer Jenny. As they drove on a path in a woods, Togepi jumped up and down as it cheered for Ash, and Emma chuckled, "You pretty proud, huh Togepi?" she asked. "Togy," the Egg Pokémon said with a smile and continued to cheer.

Then, it stopped when they all felt a rumbling under them. Ash looked confused but didn't stop running and glanced down at his partner, "Hey, Pikachu, did you feel that?"

The male mouse looked confused as well, "Pika?" Togepi moved back closer to Emma's side in fear, "Togy?" The girl took it and her Pikachu into her arms and looked at her friends, "What's that?"