Chapter 54 - Riddle Me This

Emma and her friends were taking a ship to head to Cinnabar Island. By morning, they were getting closer to the Island, the kids were on the deck, looking over the ocean and the approaching Island.

"We almost there," Emma said. "It's supposed to be beautiful," Misty said. "It's got an awesome volcano, best of all, it got Pokémon research laboratory's one best in the world," Brock said, "Trainers come all over to learn the latest Pokémon technique."

"I'm heading straight to the Cinnabar Gym, and to my next badge," Ash said with confidence. "Pika," his Pikachu said with a nod. "Okay, come on, let's grab our bags," Emma said before walking past her friends. She walked toward the stairs but then bumped into someone. His hands grabbed her arms to prevent her from falling backward.

"Well, I see you finally decided to fall into my arms huh?"

"Gary?!" Emma and Ash asked together in shock and Gary smirked. "What are you doing here?" Ash asked in annoyance as he glared at Gary's hands still holding on Emma's arms. The brunette girl stepped back but she didn't noticed the look the boy was giving to Gary.

"Heading to Cinnabar Island," Gary said with a smirk, "It's a tourist resort after all." Ash looked shocked, "Resort?!" he asked. Gary ignored him and looked at Togepi in Emma's arms, "So Emma, I see you've caught yourself a Togepi." He petted the Egg Pokémon on the head, much to it's delight. "Togy!" it said.

"Yeah, I got it when it was still an Egg," Emma said as she looked at Togepi with a smile, "In fact, Ash found it first, and he gave me it." Gary's smirk fall slightly, "Really now..."

Ash crossed his arms over his chest and smirked. "So, what are you been up to?" Emma asked. "Well, winning in Gyms and catching more Pokémon of course," Gary said with a smile. His smile turn to a smirk as he looked at Ash, "What about you Ashy?" Ash glared at him as he placed his hands on his hips, "I earned so many badges already so I'm taking a break to work on my tan."

"A real trainer never takes a break," Ash said as he stepped forward, "So while you tanning, I will be at the Gym, winning a badge!" Gary just continued to smirk, "Cinnabar Island doesn't even have Pokémon Gym."

Ash's annoyed expression turned to sadness, "What do you mean? It got to have a Gym." Gary scoffed, "Well, you can believe what you want to, but you'll see for yourself. You're wasting your time." He looked at Emma, "So, Emma, want to hung out on the Island?"

"Huh?" Emma asked. Misty looked back at Ash in amusement as she watched his sad expression turned back to annoyance and anger. "Jealousy isn't pretty on him, but it sure is funny to watch," she whispered to herself.

"Oh, I, uh, well..." Emma trailed off before Ash grabbed her wrist. "Come on, we need to get our bags," he reminded them and dragged the brunette girl with him down the stairs. Brock quickly followed and their amused redhead friend followed after.

"Whoa, where did that came from?" Emma asked in confusion as she looked at Ash. "I'm sure one day you'll find out why he's like this," Misty said in amusement. "Don't tell me you were worried I would say 'yes' to hanging out with Gary," Emma said as Ash let go of her wrist. He scoffed, "I'm not."

Emma tilted her head teasingly, "Without me around, you wouldn't survive, huh?" she teased as she nudged him on the arm. Ash looked away, "Not true."

"Pika!" his Pikachu said with a smile, as he moved to his trainer's right shoulder to be closer to Emma, "Pika-Pi, Pika, Pikachu." Emma chuckled and looked at Ash, "Your Pikachu doesn't agree with you."

Ash's cheeks turned slightly red but he quickly started to walk down the hallway before any of his friends could see it, "Come on." Emma, Misty and Brock followed him to their room to grab their backpacks.